• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Double slam fire in 1911

A single action pistol is unsafe for 95% of users?!?!? Huh? 'Splain please?

Complete disassembly of a 1911 isn't hard. Watch a YouTube video, and if you're scared of losing pins, do some of the takedown with the weapon and your hands in a cardboard box.

I've only had one 1911 that had "hammer follow". Google that and see what it says, but it may be pure wear, and it may be helped by adjusting the sear spring. If you're willing: Bring it to a swap meet and someone can help the dis- and reassembly.

Lastly, there are those that say you shouldn't routinely drop the slide on an unloaded 1911. Snap caps or dummy reloads help. The theory is that the chambering of a round slows the slide / adds a bit of resistance to prevent the slide and frame from crashing too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too hard for what? :confused:
I wouldn't say I 'routinely' do it but still curious. I mean, it's not plastic. :cool:

It is similar to banging 2 hammers together. Sure, you can pound nails all day with a hammer, and nails are metal, but having a hardened slide bang into the barrel just tightens me up when I think about it. Oh, and there are many warnings about hitting a hammer with another hammer (you know everyone tries it when they see the warning).

As the 1911 is a controlled feed system, like a Mauser bolt gun, having a dummy or cartridge when the slide closes really cushions everything.

I think gLocks are like ARs, they are slam feed systems.

Too hard for what? :confused:
I wouldn't say I 'routinely' do it but still curious. I mean, it's not plastic. :cool:
It's kind of like banging two hammers together. The 1911 is a "controlled feed" weapon and as such, with out the bullet in there to sort of sync every thing up, slamming it home on empty sort of lets things bang into things they shouldn't bang into. I remember my dad scolding me pretty hard for doing just that. Every since I ride the slide home with my off hand aft of the ejection port.

It's kind of like flicking closed the cylinder of a revolver. You can do it, but those in the know, don't.

Good answers as to why you don't make a habit of closing the slide without a round. However, i thought the 1911 WAS a controlled feed pistol. I tune the extractors so I can shoot sideways and even upside down. Not that I need a reason to, but that's my "done" test on extractor tuning.

Back to the slam fire: back in the 1980s in the military you might have been freaked out when an old USGI 1911 went FA on an indoor range. Usually, the bar that suspended the target reel stopped the pistol from going past 90 degrees (straight up) by the 5th or 6th round.

The old war horse just needs a tune up. Good luck and God Bless

Good answers as to why you don't make a habit of closing the slide without a round. However, i thought the 1911 WAS a controlled feed pistol. I tune the extractors so I can shoot sideways and even upside down. Not that I need a reason to, but that's my "done" test on extractor tuning.

Back to the slam fire: back in the 1980s in the military you might have been freaked out when an old USGI 1911 went FA on an indoor range. Usually, the bar that suspended the target reel stopped the pistol from going past 90 degrees (straight up) by the 5th or 6th round.

The old war horse just needs a tune up. Good luck and God Bless

I thought I said it is controlled feed, that is what I meant to say.

There was a report on another site where a fellow slammed a mag home, dropped the slide as he was positioning his support hand,went full auto, he shot 3 fingers off.

Yes, the cyclic rate is rather impressive.

Back
Top Bottom