• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Double Stamped Smith and Wesson

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, your serial number will determine when your Smith was produced (there are many here that can look up the serial number and get close to the production date). The M13 is the continuation of the M10-6, which was produced to fire .357 rounds. A .357 revolver was requested by the New York State Police in order to have a .357 Magnum revolver to replace their .38 Special Model 10. The Model 65 in stainless steel came about at the request of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.
The FBI issued the Model 13 with round butt and 3" heavy barrel shortly before switching to semi-automatic pistols.

Most, not all, but most S&W revolvers that have Military and Police after the model number are fixed sight revolvers.. Some examples are the M10, M13, M58, M65, and the M520. This is not a complete list, just a few examples. Of course, the most recognized M&P revolver, though there is no mention of M&P in the model name, is the M28, Highway Patrolman, which has a target sight. Go figure.

I happen to like the clean, unencumbered look of a fixed site revolver.

I forgot to mention that "double stamping", while not common, happened across all models. In my opinion, "double stamping" does not add value to the model.

Thanks for the info JWC JWC . I was wondering how odd or how common the double stamping was. I thought it to be unique in it's own way and added some character to the pistol. The value of it is still the same to me. I just like a damn good K frame 357 mag, lol

Reactions: JWC
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom