• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Douglas County gun laws: Shooting on your own property

araomd

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
59   0
Reaction score
I just bought 80 acres in unincorporated Douglas County south of I20 and east of Sweetwater park. I am would like to set up a pistol and a rifle range there.
These are the only regulations I could find. Does anyone know of any prohibitions other than not discharging near a road or dwelling in unincorporated Douglas County

Sec. 12.5-19. - Firearms.

It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm on or about Douglas County recreation facilities, sports fields, parks, or nature trails in accordance with the authority vested in Douglas County by the General Assembly in accordance with O.C.G.A. § 16-11-173. Provided however, it shall not be unlawful to discharge any firearm to defend oneself or another person pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 16-3-21.

210 (d) Prohibited uses.

(1)

Any principal use not shown on the following Table 2.5 as allowed in a zoning district, whether by right or with approval as a Special Use or as a use permitted with restrictions, is specifically prohibited.

(2)

Any accessory use not shown on the following Table 2.6 as allowed in a zoning district, whether by right or with approval as a Special Use or as a use permitted with restrictions, is specifically prohibited.

(3)

In addition, uses, products and manufacturing processes that are specifically prohibited in all zoning districts are listed in Division IV of Article 3.

(4)

No person shall discharge a firearm within five hundred feet (500′) of a residential structure, except for personal protection and the protection of property.

Well the City of East Point has a range on the Sweetwater property. There is a guy that lives on 166 that has several ranges set up on his land that is just off of the river. His might be a business though as he conducts training there.

For a non-commercial property, your biggest worry would be noise bothering the sheeple and that area is mostly commercial warehouses except Parkside Village. If yours is close enough to the East Point facility, the noise could be indistinguishable from it.

When I lived in west DC (not in a subdivision), everybody shot guns on their property - it is one of the few things I miss about living there.

Isn’t state law something like 50 yards from the nearest public road and using a target with an established backstop?

I guess if you follow that and any county laws you should be fine.

If you’ve got 80 acres you should have no problem settling up a legal shooting area.

Well the City of East Point has a range on the Sweetwater property. There is a guy that lives on 166 that has several ranges set up on his land that is just off of the river. His might be a business though as he conducts training there.

For a non-commercial property, your biggest worry would be noise bothering the sheeple and that area is mostly commercial warehouses except Parkside Village. If yours is close enough to the East Point facility, the noise could be indistinguishable from it.

When I lived in west DC (not in a subdivision), everybody shot guns on their property - it is one of the few things I miss about living there.

Thanks for the info! I had no idea there was a shooting rage on Sweetwater or anywhere else around there.

Check local ordinances. They change. Gotta be 100+ acres for a bullet and 50+ for scatter gun where I live last I checked. If someone complains about the noise, noise ordinance. Trip to the sheriffs office should answer any questions. Used to have people hunting small tracks of land all around till a council member had a bullet came thru the side of the house..

Isn’t state law something like 50 yards from the nearest public road and using a target with an established backstop?

If you’ve got 80 acres you should have no problem settling up a legal shooting area.

No law about back stop, just common sense.

Check local ordinances. They change. Gotta be 100+ acres for a bullet and 50+ for scatter gun where I live last I checked. If someone complains about the noise, noise ordinance. Trip to the sheriffs office should answer any questions. Used to have people hunting small tracks of land all around till a council member had a bullet came thru the side of the house..

Wouldn't those rules apply to a public range? If it is private, not sure the same rules would apply. That is about like saying you have to have 100 acres to shoot a deer.

That was changed a couple of years ago. Not an issue now.

Back
Top Bottom