• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Douglas County Sheriff's Office now offering firearms classes

They have offered it for a while now one class a month...we took it just for fun and to shoot at their range. Just make sure you bring your own ammo but if not you they sell some. It was an informative class regarding laws and not to mention FREE

Probably a Trojan Horse method to see who owns guns and check on their background under the guise of "we are from the government and we are here to help". Thanks, but no thanks.

Many departments offer firearm classes as well as assault prevention classes. I've found them to be very informative on law and a good start for new shooters. People......some people feel comfortable taking a class with the sheriff's office. Most of the classes that I've taken or been a part of do not require the students to give much information or at least not enough to get you on "a list". If your department offers this type of class, I would recommend signing up for it..........It's FREE.

Think of it this way.

The firearm classes are a great way to ask questions about the laws and better yet, how a deputy should respond to you when you have a gun. If you sit through the class, ask questions and get pulled over when you have your gun, you have a little extra "ammo" to use if the officer is working the situation incorrectly. Be sure to get the rank and name of the officers giving the class, in most cases the instructors are sergeants or better and are part of the department training cadre, so all of the officers in the department will know their name. :thumb:

Information is a good thing.

Many departments offer firearm classes as well as assault prevention classes. I've found them to be very informative on law and a good start for new shooters. People......some people feel comfortable taking a class with the sheriff's office. Most of the classes that I've taken or been a part of do not require the students to give much information or at least not enough to get you on "a list". If your department offers this type of class, I would recommend signing up for it..........It's FREE.

Think of it this way.

The firearm classes are a great way to ask questions about the laws and better yet, how a deputy should respond to you when you have a gun. If you sit through the class, ask questions and get pulled over when you have your gun, you have a little extra "ammo" to use if the officer is working the situation incorrectly. Be sure to get the rank and name of the officers giving the class, in most cases the instructors are sergeants or better and are part of the department training cadre, so all of the officers in the department will know their name. :thumb:

Information is a good thing.

For who, them? And I quote from the form; "You must be at least 18 years of age and give consent (signature must be witnessed) for a background check as part of the application process."

For who, them? And I quote from the form; "You must be at least 18 years of age and give consent (signature must be witnessed) for a background check as part of the application process."

Notice I said most do not require much information. A background check is common practice for a training company, no instructor wants to teach the wrong person for the wrong reasons. When you get past the basic classes, we require a background check too. We will not be a "Kennesaw airport".

Information is a good thing for everyone, it's how it's used that's the problem.

Back
Top Bottom