• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dove fields

bigearl68

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
5   0
Reaction score
8B7B6A95-826D-4CF4-B7C7-A860AEACBA94.jpeg
Got both fields planted in sunflowers this weekend before the rains set in. After we thresh wheat in early June I think I’m gonna plant a few more. If we get a little rain late this summer they should be perfect for the December season. Hopefully they turn out as good as they have in the past!
Anyone else itching for a little wingshooting?

Have not been Dove hunting in many years but can recoil a hell of a lot of fun.
Usually do first part of the season in Sept. Keep me in the loop... Rebel Rifleman
Lilburn, Ga.:triumphant:

Some of my best memories were on cut and baled dove fields in Worth Co with my dad. No better time than when the birds start flying in.

I don't know how you do it. Deer strip every leaf off of them when they are 2 inches high at my place. They never make it.
You gotta plant more than the deer can eat!!. I'd really like to find a decent but Safe place to hunt? Last time I went was 2012 or 2013 and got shot by an idiot who owes his life to his girlfriend/ wife who cried begging for me not to hurt him.
@Shrek926 was there!

I don't know how you do it. Deer strip every leaf off of them when they are 2 inches high at my place. They never make it.

havent had a huge problem with predation on the sunflowers. Doesn’t hurt to keep an eye on them late in the evening just before dark the first two weeks after emergence. If you keep the deer beat back until they get about 12 inches tall you can’t let’em roll. Deer will still munch on them but not enough to cause legit crop failure.

You gotta plant more than the deer can eat!!. I'd really like to find a decent but Safe place to hunt? Last time I went was 2012 or 2013 and got shot by an idiot who owes his life to his girlfriend/ wife who cried begging for me not to hurt him.
@Shrek926 was there!
I’ve been looking for another place to build a dove field for a couple years now. One that I can basically set aside for strictly late season field or one that I could prepare and sell spots for opening weekend. The problem with dove fields as most know is location, location, location. Can’t just pick a random four acres in a set of bottoms with no power lines and expect to have a good shoot...
If anyone knows of a good field they want to fix for late season shoots, let me know. If I can help out for a spot on the field I will.

@Shrek926 was there!

havent had a huge problem with predation on the sunflowers. Doesn’t hurt to keep an eye on them late in the evening just before dark the first two weeks after emergence. If you keep the deer beat back until they get about 12 inches tall you can’t let’em roll. Deer will still munch on them but not enough to cause legit crop failure.
I promise you, you can't plant enough for any of them to get to maturity at my place. Nor can you keep them out. Other traditional dove crops sure, but not sunflowers. It's like crack to those deer. I could plant 3 acres of of 100 different things and ONE sunflower in the middle and they'll get that one.

I promise you, you can't plant enough for any of them to get to maturity at my place. Nor can you keep them out. Other traditional dove crops sure, but not sunflowers. It's like crack to those deer. I could plant 3 acres of of 100 different things and ONE sunflower in the middle and they'll get that one.

What he said.

Unless you can physically exclude the deer, you are pissing money away trying to plant sunflowers for dove.

Tried it every which a way for years, and I could fill my bird feeder one time with all the seed we produced.

They look good right up to when they are ready to bloom and then the deer will hit them. They will clean out the field in one night.

Nothing build character like prepping a field, spending the money to plant it, plant it right, then have it all disappear in one night. The deer only eat the head, so you are left with a field of stalks - that will keep on growing.

In case you think I'm overreacting look at this. This is my house, I planted some giant Russian Sunflowers and some multicolored ones, got all artsy fartsy about it. Figured up against my house, in a subdivision, with a couple of dogs in the house and back yard, MAYBE I could grow some sunflowers. LOOK closely - the Russian mammoths were too tall for them to reach, but between those flowers you can see the headless stalks of the other sunflowers, everyone gone in one night. This is a cul-de-sac with a street light in front of the house. If you think you can keep them out of field, good luck with that.

P_lZRXFdEauxIdhFKu55t7VwXy1yanjYjN0MQlVfroipkvQQJMPtfrk8qdH1azxReYbL0SKOprUMS3-U5apqlT1Fokb1BkakTD9Hk18jUkvAXqI6vVHxtetKc0865S7ZwUs4SB2_6W5Qp4frHIfHmpIhm_JehliTSLwl6f1ZY8d0UvjXcUA_7B5hO5foCOgWqtYQ3ajmIi8-6WCiI8bY16wmRafb3leNF4tci1cosA18SJLj34o6YkEOXGoBQnz7hQS2FQ7aeMbco-lzFWOaNl1vUTVhAsOBuBNSi8tuDSqhZOIxaFB5uPAT9RY6jJ6OGEne7GeKumSnXVT5BHjQH7oOan-G-6pFhVxr-1KnJCO8vRm6nesX9-m2JF_3s14Tw0ie9EkL2-V6ph7zoH3sp0ePiDefyV5P54QlGLXYQJLJkap_fSSWrrZrxDcLIurQvApcjFXly3m6Rq9H4FictAoSfEmIb4FyMWK2Ztu2p3y5WnSUla5G4KnPeEKS1iaENpL699f9CVx5MTqrieHjLzvfVtXoliWEw0Iekgb7bu2ecBPLdwWWhWSy3UbFf4s-3Ad3RQpYW05bZoy-G7611iJPOKNsAPhKY8y8kI9w_P-XwD5ulmZddIa69JjWYdYWTFEYiaKV1l6QQ03USqY-R419Hh_QZJ2XBcfEWogPTgydAlMO6tGDKbIwqfFkAcBIEy5YKNQAtWGcq_xx3VRKFlw=w1419-h798-no

Me and my two boys always try and hunt opening day. It is a tradition and we love every minute of the hunt and spending the day together.

Good luck with your hunt.

Back
Top Bottom