• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dove fields

Yes. Last weekend
And it won’t mature to early and play out? We usually do t plant brown top until the end of may for opening weekend stuff.
I don’t know if you’ve tried it or not, but proso can be a good alternative to brown top. It’s seed maturity has some flex. Meaning it will produce mature seeds over several weeks instead of all at once. You can plant it early and it will stay green and drop “ripe” seeds for a while.

View attachment 3248888 Got both fields planted in sunflowers this weekend before the rains set in. After we thresh wheat in early June I think I’m gonna plant a few more. If we get a little rain late this summer they should be perfect for the December season. Hopefully they turn out as good as they have in the past!
Anyone else itching for a little wingshooting?
I did some wing shooting on Sunday for a turkey. Lol

And it won’t mature to early and play out? We usually do t plant brown top until the end of may for opening weekend stuff.
I don’t know if you’ve tried it or not, but proso can be a good alternative to brown top. It’s seed maturity has some flex. Meaning it will produce mature seeds over several weeks instead of all at once. You can plant it early and it will stay green and drop “ripe” seeds for a while.

I'll put in a plot of Proso and see what it does. Thank you for the tip.

Me and my buddy try to get together every year on opening day and go to one of the WMA fields in our area. It's a wonderful time for me because I already know I may not get a single bird, but that's ok because I'm gonna get to eat some awesome potted meat and Vienna sausage with cheese crackers and whatever other type of junk foods and soda pop that I can fill my stomach with! It's not any more the birds to me as it is the freedom to enjoy the time on the field and the FOOD! And firing off a few high brass rounds into thin air (always behind the birds lol), it's always just a fun time!

9334195A-D764-4118-8994-AC0672A9C046.jpeg

And they’re up! A few bags of 34-0-0 in a couple weeks and one more pass with the sprayer to clean up the crabgrass that’s coming up and then they’ll be laid by. Then the long grueling wait for season to open...

Back
Top Bottom