• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dove Hunt?

The lack of land access in GA. is why I stopped hunting for so long. There were so many wheat fields in OK. finding a place to dove hunt was easy especially dove. So many in fact a good shooter could fill the back of their bird vest in a hurry. Now that I back in Virginia I plan on predator hunting. Quail and Dove hunts were second to none in OK. Good luck with your property search. I know it has to be aggravating.

Dove still fly the same routes here in Oklahoma that they flew when I was a kid. I sit in the same shade of a pump jack every year and usually limit out. Wheat stubble along to the west of pump jack, road gravel and grit, 2 shallow ponds with dirt banks and bar ditches full of wild sunflowers. The last 6-7 years have been phenomenal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dove still fly the same routes here in Oklahoma that they flew when I was a kid. I sit in the same shade of a pump jack every year and usually limit out. Wheat stubble along to the west of pump jack, road gravel and grit, 2 shallow ponds with dirt banks and bar ditches full of wild sunflowers. The last 6-7 years have been phenomenal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When I moved Oklahoma and first saw the land scape I was Brokenhearted because I thought my hunting days were over. All I saw for the first year was nothing but wheat and cotton fields. It wasn't till my dad found some property to hunt along the banks of the North Fork of the Red River. Then my sister's boyfriends father use to take me on Quail Hunts on Thanksgiving morning. The sage Brush and knee-high vegetation was perfect for quail and I found a new passion. Quail hunting was just something that I absolutely love to do and actually liked the meat. Predator hunting was also very nice a ton of coyotes, Bobcats and just jack rabbits for General pot shooting. If you know where to go Oklahoma is absolutely teeming with wildlife you just got to get near the water Banks to see it. Also places that haven't been tilled up for farming are actually excellent quail hunting plots. Up in the Panhandle the pheasant hunting is wonderful as well.
It wasn't till I moved back East that I found out the property was scarce to hunt on and was almost impossible to get permission to hunt on it. We used to drive down to Virginia on deer hunts on some Seasons but then we moved to Georgia and the hunting just shut down. To The Outsiders driving through Western Oklahoma looks like it would be game free but it's quite the opposite as I found out. Eastern Oklahoma is full of mountains and trees I guess coming off the Ozark Mountains but it's absolutely full of life. Oklahoma has hunting territories for all kinds of avid Hunters that's for sure. I miss that area for hunting.
The major business that kept Frederick OK. alive moved and the town I graduated high school in has all but dried up. Most of my hunting property owners have probably passed but I am sure some of my high school buddies would let me hunt on their land but that is a long way from Virginia. I have access to good hunting land here some private and thousands of square miles of state land. It's good to be back home. Now if I could just get motivated to go hunting.

Back
Top Bottom