• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dove Season Opener

For you north ga guys check the August issue of gon somewhere around page 57. Can't miss the ad for Hall County dove field. It's 40 acres of sunflower and millet. He may have some openings for the 9th through the 14th. Will be my youngest boys first hunt can't wait.
Great, thanks

It has become a money game in s ga
It sure has. My Father and I used to go shoot fields in Macon and Dooly County for $25/gun. That was a reasonable price to pay for the effort put forth by the fella that would do the leg work and find fields to lease for dove shoots. I got turned off to pay shoots once the price of admission exceeded the cost of the shells that I shot that day.

It sure has. My Father and I used to go shoot fields in Macon and Dooly County for $25/gun. That was a reasonable price to pay for the effort put forth by the fella that would do the leg work and find fields to lease for dove shoots. I got turned off to pay shoots once the price of admission exceeded the cost of the shells that I shot that day.
And way over selling the field. Just too many guns and it always seems the sky busting idiots are on the perimeter. The birds get past them because they don't see them coming due to the treeline they are on. Then they start blasting well after they are out of range and spook the birds out of coming in so no one gets a reasonable shot.

And way over selling the field. Just too many guns and it always seems the sky busting idiots are on the perimeter. The birds get past them because they don't see them coming due to the treeline they are on. Then they start blasting well after they are out of range and spook the birds out of coming in so no one gets a reasonable shot.
Yeah, that’s true. A well organized shoot would keep stands from being set along the tree line. I’ve seen a good many turned back the other way, off of the field because of that. When I saw a bird coming from the woods, I’d keep quiet and let it get past the tree line standers so it could make it out over the field.
I’d gladly let the guys on the field that weren’t on the edge know if one was coming up behind them though.

Growing up i recall my dad taking me to several different dove shoots, and the birds were in abundance back then, probably 40-45 years ago. Back then it wasn't a problem finding a field, we just drove up to a farmer's house and asked permission and no one ever turned us down.

I saw a dove shoot advertised on a Facebook group the other day for $500 a gun. Another one for $200 a gun. Guy claims he sold out too. I cannot imagine paying that much.
It’s getting ridiculous ,guess as long as people pay they gonna up the Annie.

Back
Top Bottom