• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DPMS Oracle

Lineman73

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
0   0
Reaction score
I located a DPMS Oracle at a local gun store for $599. It comes with a rebate that includes four 30 round magazines and a high end cleaning kit. Soooooo...I gathered together some trading material (guns that I had duplicates of or guns that were seldom if ever used) and stopped in to do some horse trading. When the haggling was over, I walked out with a new AR.:clap2::rockon::hail:

Evil Black Rifle 2.0.jpg

The fit and finish of the DPMS rifle was good and the equal of most higher end AR's that I have handled. It has a full length picatinny rail and no A2 front sight, just a rail equipped gas block. In other words, it is optics ready. All controls were in standard AR locations and functioned smoothly and positively. The rifle came with one Magpul 30 round magazine. I also picked up a couple of 10 round Magpuls for bench shooting and hunting use. All mags functioned flawlessly. There were no failures to feed, fire, extract or eject. I am not a fan of steel cased ammo so this rifle will never see any of that. (Sorry, none of my money going to Vladimir Putin and friends!! Toughski poopski, Vlad!!:pound::pound::pound:)

I mounted a trusted old Bushnell Trophy BDC 1.75-5 x 20 scope in Millett high rings and sighted it in with American Eagle 55 grain boat tail FMJ ammo. Once sighted in with that ammo, I fine tuned it to shoot 64 grain Winchester Razorback hog ammo to point of aim at 100 yards. (This is my load of choice for coyotes, hogs and deer. It would probably work well for personal defense also.) Once sighted for this load, the rifle would consistently shoot near sub MOA groups with it, even with a slightly creepy/gritty standard mil-spec trigger!!

The factory trigger will soon be replace with an ALG ACT single stage trigger (machined mil-spec triggers, polished and nickle boron treated, then distributed by Bill Geissele's wife) with a smooth, creep free approximate 5.5 lb pull. Reset should be improved also.

Once the new trigger is installed, this DPMS AR will do about anything that I would ask of an AR style rifle. After I sold my Smith and Wesson M&P 15 last December, this one has been christened "Evil Black Rifle 2.0"! All in all, a pretty good rifle! Think I'll keep this one!!:dance::dance:

Last edited:
I'm still playing around with the trigger. I have a set of JP Rifles 4 1/2 lb fire control springs on the way. I'm looking to take just a hair more off the pull weight. I also found that I can mount the NC Star Zombie Strike green laser on the gas block rail without interfering with the image through the scope. So, the scope and the laser are now inline on the top. I lost the 45 degree angle laser mount. It looks better now!!

More info when I finally finish with the trigger work.

Well, the JP springs didn't work out. They actually made the trigger pull heavier! Who would have known!!! I just installed the new ALG ACT trigger! It is even better than I imagined it would be. This this is now a real shooter. While I was at it I tossed in a Magpul MOE 6 position buttstock and BCM Gunslinger charging handle. I think I'm done now!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom