• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Drain the differential and pull the plug to find these 2 pieces sitting in the plug?

I agree
Sort of

In the 70s the big three made cars are terrible as possible and wondered why Toyota and Honda were taking market share by the day
Hmm
Pinto /Vega /Gremlin Or a Celica /Accord
Wonder which will last longer ?

Anyhow , I think every manufacturer has now jumped the shark and has started making cars so complicated for no reason at all other than to prevent the owners from being Able to repair them

And the late mode cars have zero style , they are all look alike jellybeans that will break down someday due to a part being made from plastic instead of metal so the manufacturer could save one twentieth of a cent per car

My daily driver from 1995-2006 was a74 Bronco
I added fuel injection , power steering and , disc brakes ,and a five speed manual

My sons daily driver is a 76 K10 stepside
We added a fuel injected LS 5.3 and a 5 speed manual , and vintage air AC

I have a 06 expedition 4wd with every option for the family truckster recently purchased but only because it was a one owner under 100k miles , cost $50k in 06 and I got it for $3500

and just bought a 03 Jeep Liberty I didn’t need because it was in great shape and only $500

Fixing to spend almost as much as my wife’s car is worth on maintenance and repairs
Just added blue tooth and new speakers and recovered the seats and door panels
It’s a 01 Beetle turbo diesel five speed
230k on the original clutch and CV joints ,
She likes the beetle and it’s impossible to find one with a diesel and five speed in decent condition.

Gonna pay a tdi guru to do that since I just don’t want to tackle a FWD clutch replacement in my driveway
Although we did the LS swap in the driveway

Nine inch ford is the best axle ever made by anyone

That’s why they stopped making it
It was too heavy and sturdy

They needed a lighter less reliable axle that would break more often to sell more parts and cars

Working my way from back to front. I prefer old school to any of the newer cars or trucks and highly doubt any of them will still be running 73 years from now.

This truck is a war horse and it's all steel from front to back. It's a unique piece of 73yr old history that was made just after WW II and found new life as a drag truck and now a street rod still going down the road.

47578763_10205408351724328_7637215278429896704_n.jpg

Nice truck !

I think I read where 1 out of every 15 model A fords was still registered with current license plates

Do any of you actually think 1 out of 100,000 2017 cars will still be driveable 90 years from now ????

No way not any day

All the late model cars are plastic crap and miles of un necessary computer junk

Sure you need a computer to run the fuel injection and maybe the slush box 15 speed automatic transmission that’s going to break and is not repairable
But you don’t need a computer in every door to operate the damn power windows and locks and another to run the wipers and headlights and have a computer module in each freaking tail light

It’s just done to make the car so complicated that no one can fix it when some POS plastic part breaks or some stupid sensor goes bad

A sensor that can’t be replaced anywhere but the stealership because it has to be registered into the car computer with a zillion dollar computer at the stealership

Nice truck !

I think I read where 1 out of every 15 model A fords was still registered with current license plates

Do any of you actually think 1 out of 100,000 2017 cars will still be driveable 90 years from now ????

No way not any day

All the late model cars are plastic crap and miles of un necessary computer junk

Sure you need a computer to run the fuel injection and maybe the slush box 15 speed automatic transmission that’s going to break and is not repairable
But you don’t need a computer in every door to operate the damn power windows and locks and another to run the wipers and headlights and have a computer module in each freaking tail light

It’s just done to make the car so complicated that no one can fix it when some POS plastic part breaks or some stupid sensor goes bad

A sensor that can’t be replaced anywhere but the stealership because it has to be registered into the car computer with a zillion dollar computer at the stealership

You are right about the electronics! Every car made has the same basic items to make it run down the road and stop. My step father bought a brand new Z71 truck with all the bells and whistles. He paid an extra $3000 for a policy to cover all of the electronics in that truck. To cover all of the crap you don't need like a Heads Up Display for the windshield.

I’ve owned several 18 wheelers
Most were late 80s early 90s models with no electronics at all

I owned one with electronic injection pump etc
It left me walking many times and it was always some POS sensor
It shut down with zero warning on the 12 mile long Lake Pontchitrain bridge because the sensor in the coolant overflow tank thought there wasn’t enough water

Look the the prices for some of the newer vehicle repairs

Sure the eco boost engine is high tech and gets two MPG more
Just wait till you find out how much it cost to repair verses a LS 5.3 Chevy engine

The new generation of multi speed transmissions like the 7 , 8 and 9 speed (and more ) automatics can’t be serviced or repaired at all
The mechanic at the stealership just throws them in the dumpster and installs a new one , that costs about $7k or more.

Call some dealer and ask the price of replacing a new DSG dual clutch trans

Check the price difference between injectors for a ford 1994 7.3 diesel
And a new late model one
The older ones are $40 each
The new ones are $375 each

It’s just nuts ,

Pulled the 3rd member out today and found the rest of the roll pins inside the housing. Two pins sheared left 1 pin holding everything together. The cross pin rolled and broke the 2 roll pins. Not sure how much damage has been caused if any.

broken roll pins in housing.jpg

Pulled the 3rd member out today and found the rest of the roll pins inside the housing. Two pins sheared left 1 pin holding everything together. The cross pin rolled and broke the 2 roll pins. Not sure how much damage has been caused if any.

View attachment 1980460

Good part is with the nine you can work on it

Just make sure you mark the main caps with a punch or something
Punch a dot one one cap and the matching area it bolts to
They are not interchangeable
From one Side to the other

Then make dots on every bolt and nut and beside them before you remove it and count how many turns it takes to remove it
And write it down

Is there a video somewhere or an explanation of how to disassemble the carrier and replace the roll pins? I assume I have to tear it down to replace the pins and then have to figure out where to buy the pins.

Back
Top Bottom