• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Drain under sidewalk

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
After much trial and tribulation, I have re-sided my house and had it painted. A quick $25K I apparently didn't really need.

Now in the process of having gutters installed.

I have one down spout that will empty into a flower bed bordered by a sidewalk, which is bordered by yard. I want to run a drain from the downspout under the sidewalk to a drain I'm installing next to the sidewalk. What is the best way (or any way) to run a 6" drain under the sidewalk without tearing up the sidewalk or renting a boring machine.

I'm not adverse to retaining the services of an undocumented guest worker to dig a waste deep man hole and punch out a hole under the sidewalk if that is what if takes.

Dig down and use water - hose or pressure washer to make the channel.

I've seen that done with a pressure washer and a PVC pipe to control the size of the hole to go under a 2-foot-wide sidewalk for a small conduit. The pipe was pushed forward with the pressure washer held in the middle. The spoils came out the back of the pipe for the most part. It was messy, but it worked.

Dig down on both sides of the sidewalk. Get a piece of pipe, cut 2 45 degree angles on the pipe. Drive it under the sidewalk as a pilot hole. Easy to enlarge the hole to whatever size needed.

I've seen that done with a pressure washer and a PVC pipe to control the size of the hole to go under a 2-foot-wide sidewalk for a small conduit. The pipe was pushed forward with the pressure washer held in the middle. The spoils came out the back of the pipe for the most part. It was messy, but it worked.
Hydro-excavating without a vac truck is indeed messy, but safest way to do what he needs to do.

Back
Top Bottom