• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

drew my sidearm, lesson learned

fosgarra

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
choot em clint
84   0
Reaction score
well i thought i would share the experience i had in drawing my weapon in a public situation….

monday morning around 1 am i was in bed reading on the iPad, wife was asleep. my front window was open as it was fantastic cool weather that morn. i heard a scream, and than another, which got me out of bed and over to my window to look. I see an SUV with a woman in the drivers side, door wide open, and a white male with his hand holding onto her left arm. i distinctly hear her scream stop, and could not make out what the man said. At that moment i witnessed him strike her with his left arm. i immediately ran to my other room where my range bag was, grabbed a pistol, which was still holstered, ran downstairs and outside into the parking lot. by the time i hit pavement outside she was already backing up, door still wide open with the male still struggling with her. I proceeded to yell "hey!" 3 times and upon the 3rd yell he turned and charged at me. I drew my pistol from holster, and held aim at him. Much to my surprise this did not stop him. i yelled twice to stop and at that time recognized the man as a local resident. i fired a warning shot and he froze. now please keep in mind I'm outside in my underwear no phone. i kept aim at him and backed up to my doorway in order to get to my phone. He didn't stand there much longer and proceeded to start cussing at me. i got inside ran upstairs grabbed my phone and woke my wife who , yes, was still asleep, (she takes sleep meds for insomnia) and called 911. Back downstairs opened door and he had fled on foot, she ( the woman in the confrontation with him)had also fled in her vehicle. Police arrived and took my statement as well as a fellow neighbor who witnessed this.
Now let me say this first, Every single LEO i met that night were outstanding, and ever reinforced my strong support of them.(even met a fellow member of ODT!)
The officer and his Lt. both expressed i was completely in the right to fire my weapon, that being said.. i was given a citation for violation city ordinance 62-3 which is "discharging a weapon within city limits".I have since met with my attorney and will without a doubt have this resolved and be given restitution because according to the municipal code i was in the right.

My whole point in this post is not to argue over facts, incorrect spelling/punctuation, legal truths and so on. All i want to do is express to anyone who has not had to experience yet, please be aware that there is so much more involved than acting on the fly and doing what you think is morally correct. Preparedness is knowing the legal ramifications that follow any action you make in being a sensible gun owner.
As for the male in the altercation , he was not caught. The police puled over the female, questioned her and took a statement , in which she denied any altercation whatsoever with the male, who apparently is her boyfriend. I recall reading a post from a fellow dot member , whom i cannot recall at this moment, in which he wrote or quoted a hypothetical situation of getting involved in someones domestic dispute. the situation depicted a armed citizen breaking up a physical assault between a man and partner. but, the point made was that the couple when questioned turned on the would be good citizen and claimed he attacked them. This is very real in my mind tonight as i reflect on yesterdays events .
Not to mention that my 1.50 cartridge now costs me 1500.00 dollars in legal fees to ensured my rights are upheld.
Like i said i'm just posting this up for everybody to think about, not on a soapbox, but as a kind reminder to all who carry.
Be safe.think before you act. and God bless.

Back
Top Bottom