• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

drew my sidearm, lesson learned

If I have to kill a man it will not be because I WAS STICKING MY NOSE IN HIS BUSINESS.

Thats what the PoPo gets paid to do. and while they are arresting you they will tell you that it was their job and not yours.

I carry my weapons to protect me and mine, I suggest everyone else do likewise.

In a well balanced society, at least one person should starve to death every day.

Come with you and pretend projectiles go wher the shooter intends every time?
No, come with me so I can prove there is no projectile left to ricochet after the first impact when you use the right ammo. But you already know that, because I've explained it more than once now. You just choose to ignore it because it eliminates the problem of ricochets. You persistently try to portray me as some wild man slinging lead around randomly, when I have already explained there is nothing wild or random about what I'm talking about.

There's never rocks in the ground that you can't see? There's never random metal garbage in the ground that you can't see? Debris and shrapnel can't shoot up and injure someone?

How can you NOT see why shooting into the ground near people is a terrible idea?
"Frangible Ammunition:

Definition:

Frangible ammunition is designed to break apart or disintegrate when it hits a hard surface. It is often used at gun ranges to eliminate the possibility of ricocheting bullets. Some people also use frangible ammo in their home-defense weapons to prevent over-penetration."

http://weapons.about.com/od/ammunition/g/Frangible-Ammunition.htm

No, come with me so I can prove there is no projectile left to ricochet after the first impact when you use the right ammo. But you already know that, because I've explained it more than once now. You just choose to ignore it because it eliminates the problem of ricochets. You persistently try to portray me as some wild man slinging lead around randomly, when I have already explained there is nothing wild or random about what I'm talking about.

Which is fine & relatively easy to do on the range in a controlled environment.

Where the problem lies is when, as Helmuth von Moltke said ( had to look up his name), "No battleplan survives contact with the enemy". (I love that saying & used to have it on my wall in my office).

What if, for example, you are ambushed by two people & INTEND on firing one well-planned warning shot in a supposed safe direction to "warn" him off but under stress & fear of now being "behind the power curve" due to the presence of two attackers you reflexively fire off 2 or 3 warning shots?

One thing I would offer for consideration is that in many regions at one time YEARS AGO it WAS either practiced or condoned in some cases to fire warning shots but eventually virtually ALL Fed., State, & local L.E. depts. now have policies against it for a reason.

Bear44 Bear44 , I have not meant to be disrespectful in any way if you have felt that I have been. I believe discussions are very important and necessary to be had. After all this is all in response to the dialog of me answering a question you had posted. That being said, the scenario I was in, a warning shot could have/would have been extremely dangerous. I was standing on a paved parking lot (not grass) of a very crowded hotel, beside a 6 lane (full) highway, with a crowded outlet mall in the backdrop. Any shot would have been a last resort if I was unsuccessful in getting him to stop, thus it would have been center mass. I hope I NEVER have to use lethal force EVER, but in the scenario that I was in fear for my life or severe bodily harm to myself or that of a third party, had he continued to ignore my warnings, I feel lethal force would've been unfortunate but justified. A weapon doesn't have to be present to articulate fear of one's life. In this case a weapon was present, mine, Had I engaged him and he gained the upper hand, he would've been armed.
You are one of the few that have not been disrespectful and I hope you feel the same about my responses to you. The very fact that you considered the situation as being unacceptable to fire a warning shot in means that you did the right thing in evaluating all of your options. I don't believe that a warning shot should be a common occurrence. Only that there are times in which it would be appropriate and a far better option than the extremes of killing someone or simply hoping they don't kill you.

Back
Top Bottom