• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

drew my sidearm, lesson learned

Which is fine & relatively easy to do on the range in a controlled environment.

Where the problem lies is when, as Helmuth von Moltke said ( had to look up his name), "No battleplan survives contact with the enemy". (I love that saying & used to have it on my wall in my office).

What if, for example, you are ambushed by two people & INTEND on firing one well-planned warning shot in a supposed safe direction to "warn" him off but under stress & fear of now being "behind the power curve" due to the presence of two attackers you reflexively fire off 2 or 3 warning shots?

One thing I would offer for consideration is that in many regions at one time YEARS AGO it WAS either practiced or condoned in some cases to fire warning shots but eventually virtually ALL Fed., State, & local L.E. depts. now have policies against it for a reason.

I would never even consider a warning shot in the situation you describe. An example of the type of situation I would consider one would be:

Some guy is 50 feet away from me with a stick in his hand and he is threatening to beat my ass with it. The situation is reasonably stable, but he is starting to advance on me. I already have my weapon out because of the threat, but he is obviously too far away to have opportunity. He continues to walk towards me after repeated orders to stop. I would fire a warning shot when he is about 30 to 35 feet away unless there was an obvious reason not to. If he continued to advance, he would die at about 21 feet and I would be able to tell the judge I had done everything in my power to prevent him from becoming a deadly threat.....including firing a warning shot.

I would never even consider a warning shot in the situation you describe. An example of the type of situation I would consider one would be:

Some guy is 50 feet away from me with a stick in his hand and he is threatening to beat my ass with it. The situation is reasonably stable, but he is starting to advance on me. I already have my weapon out because of the threat, but he is obviously too far away to have opportunity. He continues to walk towards me after repeated orders to stop. I would fire a warning shot when he is about 30 to 35 feet away unless there was an obvious reason not to. If he continued to advance, he would die at about 21 feet and I would be able to tell the judge I had done everything in my power to prevent him from becoming a deadly threat.....including firing a warning shot.

Which is a good argument for having a purpose designed less lethal alternative.
If you look on most L.E.'s belt you often see 3 less lethal tools (O.C. Spray, Baton, & Taser) but only one lethal tool.

"If the only tool you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail"
As Ayoob said guns do not make good less lethal tools & were not designed to be used as such.

That is still a dangerous thought process that would land you in jail or at minimum with a fine.

If the attacker has only a stick, they are not a threat at all until within stick's reach. You have zero justification for firing when they are 30 ft out at a person with a stick.

You should as I already mentioned work on your communication skills. If you truly want to perfect your less lethal advantage (as you already poked at me for advocating shooting a person) then you should improve your ability to communicate clearly that a person at 50-30 ft should not advance on you.

If they do, then you are at a loss for time to decide and lethal threat would be an option.

Which is a good argument for having a purpose designed less lethal alternative.
If you look on most L.E.'s belt you often see 3 less lethal tools (O.C. Spray, Baton, & Taser) but only one lethal tool.

"If the only tool you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail"
As Ayoob said guns do not make good less lethal tools & were not designed to be used as such.
That's a good point, but frankly, I have little faith in less lethal, would not want anything other than a deadly weapon in my hand at that point and already carry enough crap around with me everyday. LOL!

That's a good point, but frankly, I have little faith in less lethal, would not want anything other than a deadly weapon in my hand at that point and already carry enough crap around with me everyday. LOL!
In this statement alone, you default your entire argument for a shot at the feet of an aggressor.

You carry a LETHAL weapon, and it should be used and respected as such. Trying to treat it as less lethal by shooting at the ground is dangerous and irresponsible.

As has already been established, we agree to disagree. And that's fine. I like having constructive conversations with people I respect and disagree with. Who knows, you might even change my mind....or I yours. :D

Its not just my mind that would have to be changed. The VAST majority of my opinions & class content is a broad compilation of the leading experts views & techniues in the training community along w/ my years of experience.

Having had the opportunity of teaching full time in the private sector for 5 years & devoting decades to furthering my knowledge in the "tactical world" in a CIVILIAN context has been very enjoyable.
The learning never stops but basic elements of the "Gospel" don't change much.

I know. I carry so much stuff around its hard to find room for anything more.

Maybe if accosted for less lethal defense I should open my Leatherman like a butterfly knife & briskly snap the pliers together a few times while looking :evil: & offer a verbal challenge?

Or maybe just start carrying OC again.

That is still a dangerous thought process that would land you in jail or at minimum with a fine.

If the attacker has only a stick, they are not a threat at all until within stick's reach. You have zero justification for firing when they are 30 ft out at a person with a stick.

You should as I already mentioned work on your communication skills. If you truly want to perfect your less lethal advantage (as you already poked at me for advocating shooting a person) then you should improve your ability to communicate clearly that a person at 50-30 ft should not advance on you.

If they do, then you are at a loss for time to decide and lethal threat would be an option.
That 21 foot distance is important. It's the distance at which experts and most courts would consider a weapon like a stick to give the attacker the opportunity needed to attack you. Verbal communication is fine and I'm good at it, trust me. The problem is whether or not the attacker believes you are serious about using deadly force or is even capable of comprehending what you are saying and showing him. Think PCP. A firearm discharge is universally understood and just about impossible to not take seriously. I've had weapons fired at me and around me unexpectedly and I know that makes you a f'n believer like nothing else can. Think of the warning shot as the loudest and most serious shout to "STOP" possible.

I also disagree with the idea that a round hitting the ground two to three feet in front of the shooter can be interpreted as a shot fired at a person that is still 30 feet away.

Back
Top Bottom