• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

drew my sidearm, lesson learned

That 21 foot distance is important. It's the distance at which experts and most courts would consider a weapon like a stick to give the attacker the opportunity needed to attack you. Verbal communication is fine and I'm good at it, trust me. The problem is whether or not the attacker believes you are serious about using deadly force or is even capable of comprehending what you are saying and showing him. Think PCP. A firearm discharge is universally understood and just about impossible to not take seriously. I've had weapons fired at me and around me unexpectedly and I know that makes you a f'n believer like nothing else can. Think of the warning shot as the loudest and most serious shout to "STOP" possible.

I also disagree with the idea that a round hitting the ground two to three feet in front of the shooter can be interpreted as a shot fired at a person that is still 30 feet away.

If any shot is fired it would be very likely that the tables could be turned as any L.E./ court would consider the discharge of the gun to be aggravated assault or at the least reckless endangerment.

They will NOT agree with you in this regard.
Seek out a ranking local L.E. or D.A. & ask them & post their response.

In this statement alone, you default your entire argument for a shot at the feet of an aggressor.

You carry a LETHAL weapon, and it should be used and respected as such. Trying to treat it as less lethal by shooting at the ground is dangerous and irresponsible.
Not at all. First of all, I have never said to fire a round at the feet of the aggressor. The warning shot is fired into the ground just in front of the SHOOTER. Second, just because a weapon has lethal capability does not mean "it should be used" as such at all times. In fact, the vast majority of the time I use my lethal weapon I have no intension of creating a lethal result, just like I'm sure is the case with you. A firearm is a tool, it's up to us how we use it.

I say,
The chick was safe. The perp stopped his aggression on two people. There wasn't a fatality and people still find some reason to moan and groan.

All in all, Some would turn a blind eye or wait until she was dead. Some would unload a magazine for no reason yet, The OP stopped it all without being a coward and without using lethal force.

Good Grief!

Not at all. First of all, I have never said to fire a round at the feet of the aggressor. The warning shot is fired into the ground just in front of the SHOOTER. Second, just because a weapon has lethal capability does not mean "it should be used" as such at all times. In fact, the vast majority of the time I use my lethal weapon I have no intension of creating a lethal result, just like I'm sure is the case with you. A firearm is a tool, it's up to us how we use it.

And unfortunately disagreed again. It is ALWAYS a lethal tool & is considered so by L.E.

Its not just my mind that would have to be changed. The VAST majority of my opinions & class content is a broad compilation of the leading experts views & techniues in the training community along w/ my years of experience.

Having had the opportunity of teaching full time in the private sector for 5 years & devoting decades to furthering my knowledge in the "tactical world" in a CIVILIAN context has been very enjoyable.
The learning never stops but basic elements of the "Gospel" don't change much.
They change, it just happens more slowly. Remember, at one time warning shots were a standard part of LE training. Come on, man, we could be trend setters. :peep:

I know. I carry so much stuff around its hard to find room for anything more.

Maybe if accosted for less lethal defense I should open my Leatherman like a butterfly knife & briskly snap the pliers together a few times while looking :evil: & offer a verbal challenge?

Or maybe just start carrying OC again.
Did you see the video of the guys stripping naked as a fight was starting? It worked disturbingly well. LOL!

If any shot is fired it would be very likely that the tables could be turned as any L.E./ court would consider the discharge of the gun to be aggravated assault or at the least reckless endangerment.

They will NOT agree with you in this regard.
Seek out a ranking local L.E. or D.A. & ask them & post their response.
The OP's experience says otherwise. I've also had this conversation with a couple of ADAs and they agree that under certain circumstances if any charge was brought at all for a warning shot it would be a misdemeanor. I don't want to misquote them, so I'll talk to them again to make sure that what I post about it will be exactly what they say.

Why didnt you just call 911 put yourself and others in danger.

xxxxxx... ah, never mind...
rolleyes.gif
fish2.gif
....we've all been had...
tsk.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom