• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

drew my sidearm, lesson learned

Yes,
fish2.gif
....we've all been had...
tsk.gif

Details?

I'm going to bet that the OP is the only one in this thread that has actually had to fire a weapon in self defense in the last week. Maybe not, but odds are...
In any case, arguing ABSOLUTES is generally very loose ground.
We all say what we'd do. A few of us unfortunately find out what we'd actually do.
I have no idea what I'd do in the SPECIFIC case the OP outlined (does anyone even remember it?). But since everyone walked away and the beating stopped, it could have been handled a lot worse. There are a few things I'm willing to pay fines/hassle for. If I think it's the right thing and nobody gets killed, I'll proceed. ... I guess people can find fault in everything. :rolleyes:

A lot of variables involved, a lot of what ifs. It's hard to say what you would do until you're in that situation. Thanks for sharing and the odt for providing good notes and entertainment lol. Take this as it is but this is what I say, this isn't show and tell.

I'm going to bet that the OP is the only one in this thread that has actually had to fire a weapon in self defense in the last week. Maybe not, but odds are...
In any case, arguing ABSOLUTES is generally very loose ground.
We all say what we'd do. A few of us unfortunately find out what we'd actually do.
I have no idea what I'd do in the SPECIFIC case the OP outlined (does anyone even remember it?). But since everyone walked away and the beating stopped, it could have been handled a lot worse. There are a few things I'm willing to pay fines/hassle for. If I think it's the right thing and nobody gets killed, I'll proceed. ... I guess people can find fault in everything. :rolleyes:

Perhaps one or two people came away with a tip. Such as: If you are intent on walking into an uncertain but potentially dangerous scenario, for whatever reason, it might behoove you to arm yourself with some other form of protection or means of projection. Again, a nice blinding beam of light shined into an aggressors face COULD stop or slow an aggressive advancement. Shouting commands from behind cover would also have been preferable to hanging yourself out in the breeze with no means of protection other than deadly force.
The point is, there are several things that can be learned by looking at the INITIAL response of grabbing a gun and walking outside. That left the OP with the three options of doing nothing and allowing who-knows-what happen to the victim, shooting the aggressor and dealing with the many consequences, or feeling the need to make an unlawful discharge. Those are three pretty crappy options.
BE ready, don't GET ready.
Not criticizing the OP, even if this was some kind of hoax as has been hinted to. Spitballing this stuff helps us all BE ready.

Perhaps one or two people came away with a tip. Such as: If you are intent on walking into an uncertain but potentially dangerous scenario, for whatever reason, it might behoove you to arm yourself with some other form of protection or means of projection. Again, a nice blinding beam of light shined into an aggressors face COULD stop or slow an aggressive advancement. Shouting commands from behind cover would also have been preferable to hanging yourself out in the breeze with no means of protection other than deadly force.
The point is, there are several things that can be learned by looking at the INITIAL response of grabbing a gun and walking outside. That left the OP with the three options of doing nothing and allowing who-knows-what happen to the victim, shooting the aggressor and dealing with the many consequences, or feeling the need to make an unlawful discharge. Those are three pretty crappy options.
BE ready, don't GET ready.
Not criticizing the OP, even if this was some kind of hoax as has been hinted to. Spitballing this stuff helps us all BE ready.
I agree, there is nothing wrong with planning and quite the contrary, we all should. Also glad the OP posted it up for discussion. The fact however, is until we are there, we are just finger flapping. Everyone should plan. Getting on a high horse about "what you should have done" and what "I would never do" in a situation people have never been in, is simply cyber hysterics.
But I get it, it's the interweb. I 'might' have done the same thing once or thrice....

I agree, there is nothing wrong with planning and quite the contrary, we all should. Also glad the OP posted it up for discussion. The fact however, is until we are there, we are just finger flapping. Everyone should plan. Getting on a high horse about "what you should have done" and what "I would never do" in a situation people have never been in, is simply cyber hysterics.
But I get it, it's the interweb. I 'might' have done the same thing once or thrice....
Are you suggesting the internet can sometimes be something less than constructive? :embarassed:
Uh oh. I feel a warning shot coming on. :triumphant: Lol.

Back
Top Bottom