Drill and tap aluminum receiver

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
I have a 10/22 with stripped-out holes
(4) for mounting a scope rail /base.

I need the Weaver base (also aluminum) and the receiver itself drilled out and the receiver threaded to accept the next size up in larger screws. With the heads of the screws countersunk to be flush with the top of the scope base.

The screws might have to be ground down to be short enough that they do not stick thru on the inside of the receiver and scratch the bolt.

Who in the northern Atlanta suburbs could do this quickly and for a reasonable price in Marietta, Canton, Roswell, Alpharetta, etc?

I think could do the drilling and tapping myself if I had tap and die set ...but I don't know how to countersink the holes in my existing scope base to accommodate the larger screw heads---or should I maybe turn down the screws using a table top belt sander? A drill bit would leave me a hole that is dished-out at the bottom rather than flat.

I think could do the drilling and tapping myself if I had tap and die set ...but I don't know how to countersink the holes in my existing scope base to accommodate the larger screw heads---or should I maybe turn down the screws using a table top belt sander? A drill bit would leave me a hole that is dished-out at the bottom rather than flat.
PM sent.

The counter sink is done is done by a end mill. They actually make one specific to the job(Brownels) but a std. end mill of correct size will work

Double R, you did a great job on this.
Tank-Q.
Those new 8-40 screws look quite a bit stronger, and I'll definitely be more careful with torquing them down if I should ever have to remove that scope base again (probably not, since it's got both Weaver slots and an 11mm grooved dovetail rail too. Any kind of optic or rear sight I would ever want to put on that gun will fit one of those systems.)

Back
Top Bottom