• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Drilled a little into barrel, scrap or okay to use?

NotEli

Default rank <200 posts Supporter
Hunter
29   0
Reaction score
Hey yall. I had to remove my gas block to change the barrel nut for a new handguard and found one of the set screws was impossible to remove, even after torching it. Took the barrel to the drill press and on the 2nd press I must not have set the depth stop adjustment properly and drilled a bit into the barrel (oops). It did not go to the bore though, as its a government profile barrel and thicker on that end. Am I still good to use this barrel or is it just a hunk of junk metal now? Its a cheap barrel and looking forward to an upgrade if required. Thanks!

Attachments

• barreldrill.jpg
    barreldrill.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 124
Aslong as the inside rifling isn’t molested I say that it’s good to go . Now if you wanna be safe I can test/keep the barrel for you and you can upgrade 😂

Can't he simply measure the OD of the barrel at the "dimple" and subtract .224" then divide by 2 to get wall thickness? Then use a depth gauge to measure the hole's depth? Subtract that value and he'd have a good idea of wall thickness at the bottom of the "dimple?" If it's more than .25" or so I'd think it could contain pressure without failing. This assumes perfect concentricity of course.

Back
Top Bottom