• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Drilled a little into barrel, scrap or okay to use?

Can't he simply measure the OD of the barrel at the "dimple" and subtract .224" then divide by 2 to get wall thickness? Then use a depth gauge to measure the hole's depth? Subtract that value and he'd have a good idea of wall thickness at the bottom of the "dimple?" If it's more than .25" or so I'd think it could contain pressure without failing. This assumes perfect concentricity of course.

If he can measure it, he’s welcome to measure it.

I assumed since he accidentally drilled it in the first place, then came HERE to ask for advice, that he doesn’t have the tools and wherewithal to properly measure it.

Thanks for the reply. I did some rough measuring by marking a pin, and came up with this:

Total barrel wall thickness: 7mm or 9/32"
Hole depth: ~1.7mm or ~1/16" hard to be exact on this one
Seems I drilled anywhere between 20-30% into the barrel wall, of course my measurements arent surgically accurate.

Thanks for the reply. I did some rough measuring by marking a pin, and came up with this:

Total barrel wall thickness: 7mm or 9/32"
Hole depth: ~1.7mm or ~1/16" hard to be exact on this one
Seems I drilled anywhere between 20-30% into the barrel wall, of course my measurements arent surgically accurate.
Choot it!

PM me for my schedule and you can bring it by TruPrep for accurate measuring.

If it’s not up to snuff, and you need a new barrel, I’ll give you a discount on one if you let me have your old barrel.

In my professional opinion, I wouldn’t shoot it. Ain’t worth the risk on what you’ve already described as a “cheap” barrel.

This thread does beg the question, what type/brand drill bit were you using? What brand barrel? It looks like a PSA Freedom. I have a hell of a time dimpling some of my better quality barrels.

not sure of the brand, but I was working in my uncle's personal workshop and he had several sets of industrial grade drill bits, didnt bother to check the brand. On the 2nd (oopsie) press, the drill bit sliced through like butter lol. This is a Radical Firearms 4140 Chrome Moly Vanadium barrel. The PSA's use 4150 so its a tit stronger.

This thread does beg the question, what type/brand drill bit were you using? What brand barrel? It looks like a PSA Freedom. I have a hell of a time dimpling some of my better quality barrels.

On everything except stainless steel (which is soft and has no surface finish/coating), I grind the surface “clean” with a stone grinding bit on a dremel, making sure to get below the surface.

Especially good to do that with nitride/QPQ/Melonite/etc. barrels, as that finish is very hard and penetrates the surface.

Much easier to simple then. Makes my drill bits last 10x longer, as well.

On everything except stainless steel (which is soft and has no surface finish/coating), I grind the surface “clean” with a stone grinding bit on a dremel, making sure to get below the surface.

Especially good to do that with nitride/QPQ/Melonite/etc. barrels, as that finish is very hard and penetrates the surface.

Much easier to simple then. Makes my drill bits last 10x longer, as well.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom