• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Drilled a little into barrel, scrap or okay to use?

You cannot compare a hole drilled where it shouldn’t be to intentional dimensions like lightweight profiles, gas ports, grenade launcher cuts, flutes, etc.

It doesn’t work that way.
I’ve read that improper fluting can also compromise a barrel. Seems a lot more goes into it than removing metal. But, what do I know ? I haven’t been “machining metal for 40 years” and I’m not a “former salesman” . I’m just an elite building tearer downer.

Can't he simply measure the OD of the barrel at the "dimple" and subtract .224" then divide by 2 to get wall thickness? Then use a depth gauge to measure the hole's depth? Subtract that value and he'd have a good idea of wall thickness at the bottom of the "dimple?" If it's more than .25" or so I'd think it could contain pressure without failing. This assumes perfect concentricity of course.
Often times in life, I wish I had gotten a math back round! ..instead I learned to swim and fish, and ended up being a deep sea charter in Gulf of Mexico, and a dive master in the pacific, Atlantic,and Gulf of Mexico..still have trouble counting higher than 10..lol

Often times in life, I wish I had gotten a math back round! ..instead I learned to swim and fish, and ended up being a deep sea charter in Gulf of Mexico, and a dive master in the pacific, Atlantic,and Gulf of Mexico..still have trouble counting higher than 10..lol
That’s sounds like more fun than math. You done good.

I just cut away some JB Weld that I mixed and used in December.

It was tough to cut with a utility knife, but it was somewhat flexible. It did not crack off like window glazing; it was more like caulk.

Think of it as similar to melted plastic. If you wouldn't trust dripping melted plastic into that hole in your barrel, then don't trust JB Weld
(unless of course you wrap the JBWeld repair area in Gorilla brand duct tape, in which case you're "all good.")

I have not read all the comments on this thread, just the first page or two.

As far as the barrel goes, your putting a gas block back over this hole anyways right? It'll be perfectly fine. Also no offense to the op but for real you gonna be doing 200 Rd mag dumps and shooting this rifle like crazy? No problem not so the barrel integrity isnt probably something you have to worry much about.

Its not uncommon in the combloc community to repair gas ports on previously populated barrels where they no longer index to the correct location. I'm sure some of these welded up gas ports don't come close to the thickness you still have left on your barrel. That plus the fact your putting a gas block back over it does it for me.

Just my opinion.

I’m not an armorer or gunsmith or a salesman, but as a person who had a long career bandaging body parts or searching for body parts of people who do stupid things, so said body parts can then be placed on ice and delivered with said stupid person to be sewn back on by a more highly paid, more highly educated person than myself, I suggest you listen to the armorer.

Also, I’m not an English teacher so forgive the run on sentence.

Also, JBWeld is a great product!

Also also, Krazyglue is a poor man’s derma-bond in case you go the JBWeld route.

Back
Top Bottom