• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Drilled a little into barrel, scrap or okay to use?

The only reason I would use the metal filler ( which is all it is, a filler ) is to return the set screw to normal depth to make sure it had plenty of threads for a positive bite. I would do it because I am one of those guys that it would bother. Not because the integrity of the barrel is compromised but to prevent corrosion and aid with the set screw depth. I have seen M4 barrels from the manufacturer with 3/4 of the front site pins sunk in the gas seat. So if one would be compromised it would a barrel like that but nothing ever happened. In fact they are still in use. The only reason and I mean the only reason that barrel would fail is if it had inherent vice. Meaning a structural flaw from the factory in that area and it would have to be a bad flaw. Chrome moly Vanadium steel is very, very robust in composition. It takes a lot to have one of those barrels fail.

6B0384A4-F364-4EBA-A2AF-0EEEB11BB78F.jpeg

The only reason I would use the metal filler ( which is all it is, a filler ) is to return the set screw to normal depth to make sure it had plenty of threads for a positive bite. I would do it because I am one of those guys that it would bother. Not because the integrity of the barrel is compromised but to prevent corrosion and aid with the set screw depth. I have seen M4 barrels from the manufacturer with 3/4 of the front site pins sunk in the gas seat. So if one would be compromised it would a barrel like that but nothing ever happened. In fact they are still in use. The only reason and I mean the only reason that barrel would fail is if it had inherent vice. Meaning a structural flaw from the factory in that area and it would have to be a bad flaw. Chrome moly Vanadium steel is very, very robust in composition. It takes a lot to have one of those barrels fail.
you're hysterical. Good lord, dude... just stop and take the L. Experiment with your own broken shyte... don't suggest others do it for you. Amazing, the egos with some folk.

Yikes, let me settle this conversation before it gets any worse. As per the expertise from gunsmiths and experienced folks here, I ordered a brand new Ballistic Advantage barrel on a dirt cheap sale ($89 shipped). Problem solved. Thanks all.
This thread was worth $89.

Back
Top Bottom