• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Drop Shot?

I love this technique. I use the electronics to find them. Drop it right on them. If they are tight to the bottom, or structure, it’s almost a sure thing. Suspended fish are a different story. I might try an underspin/fluke.

I've gone on quite a fed guided trips through the years for a variety of fish. I've only been even slightly impressed by two of them. That includes three trips for striper on Lanier. Of the three trips, I've caught one fish.

I get convinced the gods of fishing hate me and then I will catch something extraordinary and it keeps me going. Fortunately, I really love the process of fishing. Actually catching something is a bonus. LOL!
Man, you’ve just got bad luck You’re gonna get on them eventually and fill the boat!

Man, you’ve just got bad luck You’re gonna get on them eventually and fill the boat!
Yep, that's exactly what happens. Long dry spells and then that magic day or extraordinarily individual fish. A great example of that is the first Striper I ever caught. I fished for six days with only one strike and caught only that one fish,.... but it weighed 43lbs.

fish pictures (2).jpg

When we fished bass Tournaments years ago we used the drop shot a good bit, but you must have good electronics. Once the water hit 80 degrees we would catch a quick limit on the drop shot over various brush piles. Then we would back off the brush piles and throw big swim baits for bigger fish over the brush piles. It worked like a charm. Good luck….

When we fished bass Tournaments years ago we used the drop shot a good bit, but you must have good electronics. Once the water hit 80 degrees we would catch a quick limit on the drop shot over various brush piles. Then we would back off the brush piles and throw big swim baits for bigger fish over the brush piles. It worked like a charm. Good luck….
Dude! Sounds like a good plan and I've got the electronics. Finding fish is not the problem.

Drop shot didn't do any good, but going with 8lb floro and #4 circle got them going. All the Striper and Catfish were caught on bluebacks using that. The Spots were caught casting a jig to fish smashing bait on the surface.
20210826_161133.jpg

Drop shot didn't do any good, but going with 8lb floro and #4 circle got them going. All the Striper and Catfish were caught on bluebacks using that. The Spots were caught casting a jig to fish smashing bait on the surface.
View attachment 3451528
Well ****. Stand corrected. Some good looking striper there.

Back
Top Bottom