• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dualsport advice needed

The true DualSport sweet spot is the KTM 450 EXC.

Dirt moxie all day long, and the 450 has enough power for the road up to 70 mph.

Nice one on here for $3800 if I recall correctly.

@Ken Ford The KLR has a 5 gallon tank, on the Dalton Hwy in Alaska, it did not have to carry a Roto pax like those of us on BMW GS's.

Great advice from NWS and poop.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-ft-2008-ktm-450-dualsport-street-legal.1826935/
Haven’t looked at KTM or Huskies much as new ones are well out of my price range. I’m not opposed to a nice used bike but hate the chase.

How is the maintenance on a KTM 450? I was about to scrounge up 10k for the new CRF450L till I read its maintenance schedule. Oil changes every 600 and valve adjustment every 1800. No thanks.

Kawasaki just killed the KLR after 33 years with almost no changes. I am interested to see what they may replace it with. There has been rumors of a KDX550 but it's just that, rumors.

I can't imagine Kawasaki will not replace it as the Versys is not capable of filling its role.

yep
my mouth waters every time i see an rc8... same with a mille.

Mine was a RSV1000R. Trade it for my Repsol Fireblade.

20180408_131852.jpg

20181010_152318.jpg

Looking to buy a new dualsport bike under $7k (preferably less) and need advice.

Background: Not much experience (less than a year) on street bikes but grew up on dirt bikes (YZ250 was my last and longest owned).

I’m short (5’7”ish), heavy (~230, need to work on that), and mostly want something to just get lost on, not a thrill seeker.

I’d say 50% pavement, 40% open dirt roads/fields, 10% tight trails would be my riding style.

Want to add that low maintenance is big plus and so far have Ben looking at the CRF250L, WR250R, and DRZ400.

What y’all think?
I love the DRZ and WR but the fries and tested for what you are looking for is the KLR650 in my opinion.

Haven’t looked at KTM or Huskies much as new ones are well out of my price range. I’m not opposed to a nice used bike but hate the chase.

How is the maintenance on a KTM 450? I was about to scrounge up 10k for the new CRF450L till I read its maintenance schedule. Oil changes every 600 and valve adjustment every 1800. No thanks.
truth is, if you want a big bore DS get the klr or if you are REAL lucky find a honda xr 650l..

Back
Top Bottom