• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Duck hunters

Any of you hunters looking for a top notch taxidermist the best in ga On ducks.
C74E5D11-BCB1-411B-8EEA-BA008A78850C.jpeg
4A094AD2-C930-486B-A83B-1B785F942FF6.jpeg

Do any of y’all duck hunt in Alabama?
Yep. I used to A LOT. But B bigearl68 nailed it. They killed off the duckweed (or whatever it's actually called) about 5-6 years ago and it went from ok with decent weekends to dang near miserable. 10 years ago we could usually scratch out 4-5 birds per person per day. But I'd see thousands of ducks. Mostly divers but a ton of gaddies as well. Would mostly kill gadwall and ringnecks, blue bills, can's, redheads, buffleheads but we shot some goldeneye (barrow's and common), mallards, geese, a pintail or two, widgeon, teal, even a woodie and a white wing scoter actually which was really odd (Over a probably a 15 year span). That's what was cool you might hunt almost all day long and only kill 3 or 4 birds but they might be 3 or 4 different birds. Coots by the millions. There would always be birds in the middle of the river/lake. Nowadays you might not see 50 ducks in a day. No where near the coots or ducks. Last time I went, I saw a 10th of the coots from just 6-8 years ago, very very few gadwall, a few hundred divers and maybe a dozen mallards. This was over 4 days of all day scouting and hunting. I don't know what all happened but it's nowhere near what it was and it wasn't ever great. That being said, if you have the patience and the desire to see new water you can kill a bird or two if you put enough time behind binoculars and find a few. I'd just temper any excitement or visions of whacking a bunch of birds. You could realistically do a weekend trip over and never fire a cap.

Depending on what you're after. You can run over to MS and hunt some public water with decent numbers of birds (mostly puddle ducks). Gotta be off the water on refuges by lunch and it's upwards of a 6 hour trip. I haven't been to over there in several years either honestly, so I don't know what it's like anymore either. I'm sure you know, to really get into birds consistently, you gotta head west.
Hunted lake Guntersville years ago. More ducks than Ga by far but still slim pickings and as with all waterfowling nation wide. It ain’t what it used to be!

Looks like y’all got plenty of birds where your at. Have y’all just recently seen a push or they been there?

They have been here. Neighbors have a feed lot/grow yard where they feed a lot of corn and Milo. A big water shed provides a roost along with many ponds. Birds start stacking up in there around first of October and stay until March. The geese are almost a nuisance. It gets crazy loud when they are moving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m looking to get in a lease in west ga with ducks and deer on it . If any of you duck hunters could hook me up ? I would greatly appreciate it .

Back
Top Bottom