• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Duck hunting shotgun questions

LTE

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
Firearms/Accessories Dealer
16   0
Reaction score
I've never gone duck hunting but I know that you need to use steel shot these days.

I have a Remington 1100 with a newer barrel (screw in chokes, purchased early 90s I think). I also have my old Mossberg 500 (late 80s, screw in chokes).

I've heard that steel shot will dent the barrels on older shotguns.

Any thoughts on these guns of mine?

Google shows that the feds banned using lead shot on migratory waterfowl in 1991.

I think I'd shoot those late 1980s and early 1990's production shotguns with steel shot, but not a lot of it.
Do most of your practicing with lead shot. Just fire a few steel shells to check the pattern at 20, 30, and 40 yards.
Other than that, only shoot them at actual ducks and geese.
If you prematurely wear out your choke tubes, buy new ones. You'll have killed truckloads of birds by then, so just accept the cost of getting new choke tubes.

If you shoot them through a barrel that doesn't use choke tubes and you damage the barrel itself, who cares?
Buy a modern replacement barrel for that 1980s shotgun.
Saw off that damaged barrel at 18.1" and call that your "home defense" barrel, and use the new one ($150- $200) for more hunting.

Your 1100 would be a fine.

I've got a Stoeger which is Benelli knock off that takes abuse pretty well. Only issue I've had with it is that the bolt handle broke off and fell into the water. I used a small stick to cycle the action back so I was still able to load shells. Was cheap to fix. Think the bolt handle was $16 or so.

I use a 60's 1100 that's a fixed modified for duck hunting and haven't had any problems. I wouldn't take it to the main flyway to hunt, I use newer guns out there, but it gets the job done over here. If you plan on going through a lot of rounds, I recommend a Stoeger if you're on a budget. I'm looking for one myself. Franchi, Benelli, Browning, and Remington also make good waterfowl shotguns.

Back
Top Bottom