• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Duck Hunting

We have planted a bit. We have a place we can flood. We planted the penington mix the first time. The rice did ok. We also planted Jap millet and smartweed. The main problem is the @&$ geese. They even ate the smartweed. 660CB0AD-6B93-459F-B1DF-8BD4F6268C60.png

We have planted a bit. We have a place we can flood. We planted the penington mix the first time. The rice did ok. We also planted Jap millet and smartweed. The main problem is the @&$ geese. They even ate the smartweed.View attachment 5781744
That’s kinda what I’m worried about is the damn geese, there is a bunch around there. I was thinking about planting this
A00F4016-F74B-44BD-9CD2-7B0B6E6ED006.png

I cant remember exactly. I believe we were timing the duck season. Probably sixty days out. However, those migratories come late. Even if the geese didnt hit your millet, it would likely have little value. That rice pic was September 20. I noticed that. Smartweed lasts. The mix has a little of all.
Be careful typing the word duck lol

I cant remember exactly. I believe we were timing the duck season. Probably sixty days out. However, those migratories come late. Even if the geese didnt hit your millet, it would likely have little value. That rice pic was September 20. I noticed that. Smartweed lasts. The mix has a little of all.
Be careful typing the word duck lol
I’m really just trying to hold the wood ducks in there. I’ve never shot anything there but wood ducks and a late season goose. The biologic says it matures in 45 to 90 days depending on conditions so I’m really torn on when to plant. 😂

I would lean towards the 90 if it were me. That way it has time to mature. Maybe?? Its such a gamble, and then the geese rob you blind anyway. Im not sure what you are dealing with exactly. Corn should hold them some. The smartweed is a pretty good option for almost any situation. I actually transplanted some from a notorious duck feed. I also planted it.

I would lean towards the 90 if it were me. That way it has time to mature. Maybe?? Its such a gamble, and then the geese rob you blind anyway. Im not sure what you are dealing with exactly. Corn should hold them some. The smartweed is a pretty good option for almost any situation. I actually transplanted some from a notorious duck feed. I also planted it.
Yeah I can’t stand geese anyways, I guess we will try it and see how it goes though. Then we will try to shoot some geese early season and try to get them scared of the hole. 😂

Back
Top Bottom