• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

dumbed-down schools

52759608_2692791107418352_1637148603027816448_n.jpg

My wife has been teaching middle school for 13 yrs.. Yep they teach to the test. She's had enough of the government forcing ''core'' upone the masses and is looking into other avenues that she can use here masters. If you want your child to have a good education you must find a school that teaches ''classical'', like back in my day. Anything other is from big brother.

School is part of the problem but then some people are just ignorant.

I was in a Radio Shack in CT standing at the counter waiting to pay for an item that cost exactly $2 and the power went out. The 20 something year old guy asked me to wait until the power came back so he could figure the 7% tax on the register. I threw the exact change on the counter and walked out.

I wrote a check at Gander Mountain and the 20 year female cashier ran it through the machine about 12 times before taking another look and in her brilliance she tells me the reason it won't work is because I did not write anything in the "Note" section and if I will then she is certain it will work.

Some people are just stupid. Hell look at all those that voted for Barak twice!

i've heard that a problem in schools today is that teachers are "teaching the test" for the purpose of helping the students pass standardized tests which may not be the same thing as teaching them to actually learn and understand the material and use it in real life questions.

Yesterday I was talking to an 8th grader, 13 years old, who is passing math. He hasn't failed a math class in years, if ever.

He couldn't figure out, in his head, what each of 3 identical items cost if together the bill came to $100.

When that stumped him, I suggested that he consider the final bill to be only $99 rather than 100. I reminded him that that would make the division come out even.

Nope. He guessed "30" but then immediately retracted his answer when he tested that figure and reslized 30 x 3 is only 90. A little too low.

So I gave him the answer of 33, and I challenged him to a different question:
this time involving four (4) items all equally priced
where the total bill added up to $100.

Nope. He didn't have a clue. He couldn't multiply anything by four in his head. That requires paper and pencil.
Or a calculator.
Or "Google it."

In a few years this kid will be a high school graduate, entering the workfore, with what is for all practical purposes a 4th grade education.

It's worse in Brooklyn where, I grew up in, no math, reading or history. They are taught a trade in stead of regular high school Classes.

When I was a young guy working at a service station pumping gas I came across one guy who was in his mid 40's and he was illiterate. He would hand me his check book so I could fill it out for him and sign his name. Heck of a nice guy and I still remember him to this day, Buddy Holly.

My wife has been teaching middle school for 13 yrs.. Yep they teach to the test. She's had enough of the government forcing ''core'' upone the masses and is looking into other avenues that she can use here masters. If you want your child to have a good education you must find a school that teaches ''classical'', like back in my day. Anything other is from big brother.

That would most likely be a "home school" or private school program. The rest are public schools subject to government mandated programs in order to get their government payments for the kids.

That would most likely be a "home school" or private school program. The rest are public schools subject to government mandated programs in order to get their government payments for the kids.

Yep

Sent our kid to a private classical school K-8
Then to a public high school

It blew my mind watching the first graders at this private school diagram sentences

Most 8th graders at a public school cant do that

If you have a boy you should seriously consider a private school
There is nothing harder for a young boy than to sit down and be still and be quiet for eight hours a day

Most kids are pretty bright and like to learn but school is very boring for boys

I started sleeping in the 6th grade because it was so boring

I could sleep in the classes and still pass because I read the book and comprehended what I read

Back
Top Bottom