• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

dumbed-down schools

The last time I drove through the Georgia Tech campus I wondered if any of those kids were from Georgia. Seemed every student I saw was Asian. Sure, some of them could still be from Georgia, but it made me wonder. Had the same experience at the NCSU math department building, nearly all Asians (East and South). Whatever that standards system is we're using through high school, it doesn't look effective enough to get kids into those college programs.

GA Tech doesn’t accept hardly any students from Georgia anymore

They load up on foreigners since they pay 4 or 5 times as much in tuition

Maybe more , I dunno .
But if you’re a white male American , your odds of getting In GT are nearly zero

GA Tech doesn’t accept hardly any students from Georgia anymore

They load up on foreigners since they pay 4 or 5 times as much in tuition

Maybe more , I dunno .
But if you’re a white male American , your odds of getting In GT are nearly zero

Unless you can throw a football 15 yards... then there is a scholarship available for you.

All 3 of my kids are homeschooled. I wouldn't have it any other way. My oldest (Daughter-16) is already talking about "dual enrolling" for college courses. In TN the first 2 years are free for college. I told her to knock out her core and then focus on her studies. We are glad she is not in public school. It's a toxic environment and does most definitely dumb down your kids.

We started homeschooling in GA when we lived in Houston county. I have a few teachers in my family and several BOE employee family members. We caught grief big time for wanting to pull them out of public school. My brother (teacher) told us how foolish we were for considering it because of how "good" middle GA schools were at the time (I think GA was ranked 48th for SAT scores then). I let all my family know that despite how good or bad a public school setting is, a home school setting will always be better. I will never be convinced otherwise.

Since then (we started 2010) my brother has told me it was the smartest thing I could've done. He despises his job and is waiting out the days until retirement. He will tell anyone willing to listen that the GA public school system moves only as fast as it's dumbest students. As an educator it is understandably very frustrating for him. His particular school was involved in a forced bussing program that brought kids from other areas of the county to "balance" out the "demographics" and that led to a whole bunch of problems. That whole program turned out to be illegal and was stopped. He has had kids tell him "I don't care about passing or failing, I won't be held back". They are right. He corrected one kid walking down the hallway at the beginning of the school year and told him to get to his assigned classroom and the kid said "I'm in the 8th grade now". My brother responded "I held you back". The kid said "I told you I wouldn't get held back". That's what he's fighting....

Another friend of ours taught at an elementary school in Houston county and he constantly would tell me that Houston county "teaches to the test" (CRCT) and the kids aren't learning anything (my brother says the same thing). That friend of ours quit teaching due to frustration and administrative nonsense that is ever present in the BOE. I want my kids to learn and flourish and not be test takers.

There's a book written that I bought at a home school book fair. It's called "Dumbing Us Down - The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling" By John Gatto AWESOME BOOK! He outlines and details the objective of the federalized industrial schooling machine. It's not pretty. (It's sold on Amazon)

One of the reviews:
John Taylor Gatto, upon winning the award for teacher of the year after 30 years in the classroom, delivered a speech that was so shocking that the reverberation is still being felt today. This speech is the first chapter of Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling and it is honest, insightful, and scathing. Essentially, he is an education whistleblower.

“School is a twelve-year jail sentence where bad habits are the only curriculum truly learned. I teach schools and win awards doing it. I should know.”

Those “bad habits” he is referring to are what he outlines in the first chapter as being the true lessons taught in schools: confusion, class position, indifference, emotional dependency, intellectual dependency, provisional self-esteem, one can’t hide (constant surveillance).

This book does not leave you feeling inspired – it leaves you outraged. But sometimes, that’s exactly what is needed to spur change (and it’s why the Sage Homeschooling book begins with our experience exiting the school system).

Read the book. Face the truth. Create a better path.

A lot of people want to blame the individual teachers but it's deeper than that. Teachers aren't allowed to "teach" anymore. They are required to make the school and the education system in their district look good so that they get better funding from the government. It's all a racket. I feel bad for teachers honestly. And if they fail some kid not only will the school administration punish them, they have to deal with the parents who don't think their kid does anything wrong.

All 3 of my kids are homeschooled. I wouldn't have it any other way. My oldest (Daughter-16) is already talking about "dual enrolling" for college courses. In TN the first 2 years are free for college. I told her to knock out her core and then focus on her studies. We are glad she is not in public school. It's a toxic environment and does most definitely dumb down your kids.

We started homeschooling in GA when we lived in Houston county. I have a few teachers in my family and several BOE employee family members. We caught grief big time for wanting to pull them out of public school. My brother (teacher) told us how foolish we were for considering it because of how "good" middle GA schools were at the time (I think GA was ranked 48th for SAT scores then). I let all my family know that despite how good or bad a public school setting is, a home school setting will always be better. I will never be convinced otherwise.

Since then (we started 2010) my brother has told me it was the smartest thing I could've done. He despises his job and is waiting out the days until retirement. He will tell anyone willing to listen that the GA public school system moves only as fast as it's dumbest students. As an educator it is understandably very frustrating for him. His particular school was involved in a forced bussing program that brought kids from other areas of the county to "balance" out the "demographics" and that led to a whole bunch of problems. That whole program turned out to be illegal and was stopped. He has had kids tell him "I don't care about passing or failing, I won't be held back". They are right. He corrected one kid walking down the hallway at the beginning of the school year and told him to get to his assigned classroom and the kid said "I'm in the 8th grade now". My brother responded "I held you back". The kid said "I told you I wouldn't get held back". That's what he's fighting....

Another friend of ours taught at an elementary school in Houston county and he constantly would tell me that Houston county "teaches to the test" (CRCT) and the kids aren't learning anything (my brother says the same thing). That friend of ours quit teaching due to frustration and administrative nonsense that is ever present in the BOE. I want my kids to learn and flourish and not be test takers.

There's a book written that I bought at a home school book fair. It's called "Dumbing Us Down - The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling" By John Gatto AWESOME BOOK! He outlines and details the objective of the federalized industrial schooling machine. It's not pretty. (It's sold on Amazon)

One of the reviews:
John Taylor Gatto, upon winning the award for teacher of the year after 30 years in the classroom, delivered a speech that was so shocking that the reverberation is still being felt today. This speech is the first chapter of Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling and it is honest, insightful, and scathing. Essentially, he is an education whistleblower.

“School is a twelve-year jail sentence where bad habits are the only curriculum truly learned. I teach schools and win awards doing it. I should know.”

Those “bad habits” he is referring to are what he outlines in the first chapter as being the true lessons taught in schools: confusion, class position, indifference, emotional dependency, intellectual dependency, provisional self-esteem, one can’t hide (constant surveillance).

This book does not leave you feeling inspired – it leaves you outraged. But sometimes, that’s exactly what is needed to spur change (and it’s why the Sage Homeschooling book begins with our experience exiting the school system).

Read the book. Face the truth. Create a better path.

Wish I could like this more than once. My kids are all home schooled, and have been since day 1. My two older girls (17 & 15) are both on their 3rd semester of dual enrollment in college.

A lot of people want to blame the individual teachers but it's deeper than that. Teachers aren't allowed to "teach" anymore. They are required to make the school and the education system in their district look good so that they get better funding from the government. It's all a racket. I feel bad for teachers honestly. And if they fail some kid not only will the school administration punish them, they have to deal with the parents who don't think their kid does anything wrong.

This is what happened in ATL with all the test erasing scandal a few years back.

School choice will take care of this. Why is our republican leaders in the state blocking it? I can understand the dem's, they want the whole system catering to the lowest common denominator. Time for school choice and the same school year state wide. I am sick of our kids starting school in early August.

The forced integration of the public school system was the biggest crime ever committed against the American people.
The government didn't think that the races were merging fast enough in the Southern states.
The Eastern states were affected the most. Almost every county in Georgia had a private school by 1975.

School choice will take care of this. Why is our republican leaders in the state blocking it? I can understand the dem's, they want the whole system catering to the lowest common denominator. Time for school choice and the same school year state wide. I am sick of our kids starting school in early August.

The Rs are not doing school vouchers and choice because they want to get re elected

There’s a bill in the ga house now that allows $5600 a year for 2.5 % of the students max to use at a private school and the students have to be special needs or documented bullying or something
And the ga and national teachers union and democrats are screaming their heads off about it

If the state was offering that amount of money for women to have abortions the union and dems would be all for it

The teachers union in the most powerful political group in the state

You start trying to write a bill for vouchers and choice and you’d certainly not win your next election

And yes
There must be some reason the school admins and teachers are so terrified of vouchers and choice

Reactions: GFB
Back
Top Bottom