• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Earl Thomas Gives Seattle the Bird!

mattp38

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
20   0
Reaction score
His own team! The very reason he wanted a trade or a long term deal played out today. Thomas fractured his leg and let his frustrations with his team get the best of him.

Seahawks safety Earl Thomas carted off with lower leg fracture, appears to flip off Seattle sideline. https://tiny.iavian.net/oxff

His own team! The very reason he wanted a trade or a long term deal played out today. Thomas fractured his leg and let his frustrations with his team get the best of him.

Seahawks safety Earl Thomas carted off with lower leg fracture, appears to flip off Seattle sideline. https://tiny.iavian.net/oxff
well this right here is also the reason teams dont give aging players big contracts. they get hurt and cant play then your on hook for the money. sucks for him tho.

well this right here is also the reason teams dont give aging players big contracts. they get hurt and cant play then your on hook for the money. sucks for him tho.
I understand both sides. I know for the team it just matters what makes the most financial sense to provide a winning product and limiting your risks. For the player it's about getting your fair market value and best possible option of guaranteed money, because your career could end on any given play. I just don't understand why people get mad at the millionaire Earl Thomas or Le'veon Bell, but they don't get mad at the billionaire franchise owner for squeezing out every last drop of talent from an athlete, then kicking them to the curb when they're past their prime. Part of Bell's biggest problem aside from the lack of guaranteed money, is the fact that Pittsburgh over uses him. He's their number 1 rusher and number 2 receiver. He's afraid after a 1 year deal with 400+ touches he'll get injured or his career will be cut short by putting on too many miles.

I understand both sides. I know for the team it just matters what makes the most financial sense to provide a winning product and limiting your risks. For the player it's about getting your fair market value and best possible option of guaranteed money, because your career could end on any given play. I just don't understand why people get mad at the millionaire Earl Thomas or Le'veon Bell, but they don't get mad at the billionaire franchise owner for squeezing out every last drop of talent from an athlete, then kicking them to the curb when they're past their prime. Part of Bell's biggest problem aside from the lack of guaranteed money, is the fact that Pittsburgh over uses him. He's their number 1 rusher and number 2 receiver. He's afraid after a 1 year deal with 400+ touches he'll get injured or his career will be cut short by putting on too many miles.
oh yea i totally get the billionaire v millionaire part of the equation. However this aint given Jimbo at the refinery a $2/hr raise. This is about multi millions of dollars. i mean if i were an owner and i could pay a guy 900,000 a year to be almost as good instead of 5 million i would. why not make yourself an extra 4 mil. i dont side with the owners but its just business ya know. with Le'veon he's just screwed all around. He doesnt have any real leverage other than not playing. If he doesnt play this year he is in the exact same position next season, plus he doesnt really know if ANY team will pay him what he wants. especially if he doesnt hit free agency for another 2 years when he's 28

oh yea i totally get the billionaire v millionaire part of the equation. However this aint given Jimbo at the refinery a $2/hr raise. This is about multi millions of dollars. i mean if i were an owner and i could pay a guy 900,000 a year to be almost as good instead of 5 million i would. why not make yourself an extra 4 mil. i dont side with the owners but its just business ya know. with Le'veon he's just screwed all around. He doesnt have any real leverage other than not playing. If he doesnt play this year he is in the exact same position next season, plus he doesnt really know if ANY team will pay him what he wants. especially if he doesnt hit free agency for another 2 years when he's 28
From the business standpoint, the age of the running backs is not the current state of the NFL. The league is currently a passing one. Many teams can be successful with a plug and play competent back and invest their money better elsewhere. This is the very reason I got upset with the Falcons over Freeman. I feel we could get similar production for less money and invest the rest where it's needed.

Seattle is a good example of how teams can collapse dealing poorly with the salary cap. Seahawks went to two Super Bowls with Russell Wilson on his rookie contract. Then, they took a hatchet to their roster to pay Wilson, which was necessary to keep him, and they haven't been the same since. Seattle opened up the checkbook to keep Earl Thomas too. So Wilson and Thomas both got paid, but now they're on a team that hasn't looked like a real contender for a few seasons now. Earl Thomas wants to get paid top dollar but he wants to win too. Doesn't seem like they always get it both ways, which is apparently very frustrating for him. That's just one semi-clueless football fan's perspective.

Seattle is a good example of how teams can collapse dealing poorly with the salary cap. Seahawks went to two Super Bowls with Russell Wilson on his rookie contract. Then, they took a hatchet to their roster to pay Wilson, which was necessary to keep him, and they haven't been the same since. Seattle opened up the checkbook to keep Earl Thomas too. So Wilson and Thomas both got paid, but now they're on a team that hasn't looked like a real contender for a few seasons now. Earl Thomas wants to get paid top dollar but he wants to win too. Doesn't seem like they always get it both ways, which is apparently very frustrating for him. That's just one semi-clueless football fan's perspective.
They've also had no run game or stand out recievers

Back
Top Bottom