• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Educate me on drones.....

Deaken

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
For starters my daughter (10 years old) wanted a drone for Christmas, we bought her one from toys r us for $125ish bucks and it was pretty crappy and the battery would go dead in 3-4 minutes tops. Now truth be told I wouldn't mind having a drone myself to fly around for grins and giggles but I don't know if it would be a big mistake to buy a nicer one for myself and let her fly it? My questions are the ones in the 500-750 range easy/easier to fly or is there a great chance she could crash it and it be a total lose? And battery life is a big selling point so if you have one and the battery lasts a good while please let me know what to expect and what you have/recommend. Thanks,

Most drone batteries have a 20 too 24 minute flight time.
I had been doing some reading online and that seems to be the general consensus, with some of the others being less(or what I read online) but this is why I started the thread to hopefully get personal experience with someone that owns some different ones.

Subd. As I know barely anything about them, but are quite interested in them.

Also, watch Adam Savage discuss his drone on the Tested YouTube channel. Lots of good info there. He also made a great iPad sun shade for the live camera viewing during the daylight. I do get the vibe the nicer drones are more stable, seems the larger, heavier ones are less affected by wind as well. Could be wrong though.

I also understand that the larger non kids size ones, need to be registered with the FAA now too...

If you buy one for your nine year old son for Christmas, stay with him while he flys it. My son thoroughly enjoyed all 4 flights he made with his Christmas Day. Then he decided to see how high it would fly. We haven't seen it since. Lol.
Lol yeah there will be no flying without me being there.... There'd be no telling where she'd send it. And more questions..... Do all of them fly over water without any issue? (that's a question for myself as I enjoy my time at the lake).

Subd. As I know barely anything about them, but are quite interested in them.

Also, watch Adam Savage discuss his drone on the Tested YouTube channel. Lots of good info there. He also made a great iPad sun shade for the live camera viewing during the daylight. I do get the vibe the nicer drones are more stable, seems the larger, heavier ones are less affected by wind as well. Could be wrong though.

I also understand that the larger non kids size ones, need to be registered with the FAA now too...
Yeah I go to a drag race the come twice a year and they have a DJI Phantom that hauls butt and seems extremely stable in air but I don't know which one it is.

Drones are GREAT!!! I have a DJI Phantom 3 advanced. I have a great time flying it and it has a feature called follow me that is great! I bought a few upgrades for it and I can fly it about a mile and a half away before it gets out of range. But no fear it turns around and flys back to the home destination I set before take off. Very easy to fly and the video is fantastic! Great drone for the money. Would recommend to anyone looking for something fun to do!!!

Drones are GREAT!!! I have a DJI Phantom 3 advanced. I have a great time flying it and it has a feature called follow me that is great! I bought a few upgrades for it and I can fly it about a mile and a half away before it gets out of range. But no fear it turns around and flys back to the home destination I set before take off. Very easy to fly and the video is fantastic! Great drone for the money. Would recommend to anyone looking for something fun to do!!!
Da faq?? How much does it cost to get one set up like yours? Also, does it use a factory camera, or do you attach a GoPro to yours?

A set up like mine cost about $1100 but the good thing about it is is very stable in wind and can go up to 500 meters in the air and depending on the weather and the antennas that you have you can get about 2 miles on a clear day. I also upgraded to a carbon fiber propellers and it uses his own camera on a gimble set up with the option to have a 4k camera put on it. Very easy to fly and it'll hover about four feet off the ground when you start it up.

Attachments

• 1482811156780-1321672337.jpg
    1482811156780-1321672337.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 81
Back
Top Bottom