• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Educate me on drones.....

No sir - still very much enjoying it. I got an iPad 4 mini and an adapter so that I can use it to view the camera while I'm flying. Makes the experience even better!
I'm picking one up today. I'm stoked. Like 8 year old on Christmas morning stoked.

I'm picking one up today. I'm stoked. Like 8 year old on Christmas morning stoked.

Dude stay out of sport mode until you're seriously ready for it. It moves a LOT faster than you realize when you have sport engaged. A year later and I'll only switch over when I'm up at altitude and don't have to work about trees or buildings. Oh, and skip the DJI Refresh Warranty - it's a rip off. Go with StateFarm and get a Personal Articles policy that will give you full replacement cost (even if lost and / or destroyed) with no deductible for something like $60 a year.

I have been thinking about getting a drone for over a year now.

I just realized I can pick up a new Mavic Pro from my daughters business for $649.00 and free shipping.

Is a Mavic Pro too much to start out with, or would I be better off buying or trading into a less expensive model?

There are a couple here on ODT for trade, but I have not heard back from anybody yet to see if they are still available.

Trade for a used one or drop $649 on a new one?

Thanks,

Jerry

Another question....

Are the models with built in screens any better than those that require a cell phone to watch?

It seems to me that a built is screen would be better. I have old phones I could use for a monitor only, but that means keeping another device charged up and ready.

Thoughts?

Jerry

It depends....

The Mavic is packed full of features and offers a high degree of flight stability for the price. At the same token it can get expensive to repair when you crash, which is typically due to pilot error.

I would buy a less expensive drone to start understanding stick controls and flight dynamics (crash and learn), then upgrade to a Mavic or better.
However, $649 is a good price for a Mavic!

Most high end drones require a smart device to connect to Google maps and are app based. Built in screens are limited by processing power and do not provide as much flight intelligence as a result.

Congrats Reservoirdog!
Take it out of beginner mode and understand / test RTH (activating and canceling) as well.
You may want to visit MavicPilots.com for some good info.

I have been thinking about getting a drone for over a year now.

I just realized I can pick up a new Mavic Pro from my daughters business for $649.00 and free shipping.

Is a Mavic Pro too much to start out with, or would I be better off buying or trading into a less expensive model?

There are a couple here on ODT for trade, but I have not heard back from anybody yet to see if they are still available.

Trade for a used one or drop $649 on a new one?

Thanks,

Jerry

I spent $800 on my first drone and didn't regret it a bit. I crashed it once (my fault) and fixed it myself.
If you can get a mavic for 650 you should, you won't regret it. Using your phone for the screen is also handy for transferring pics from the drone.

Most high end drones require a smart device to connect to Google maps and are app based. Built in screens are limited by processing power and do not provide as much flight intelligence as a result.

I did not know this. I imagine this is also part of the feature set that allows it to return and know its home base?

Thanks,

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom