• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Egyptian Hakim 8MM Mauser - Part II

thegiantmidget

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
Some of you may remember me mentioning that I had purchased an Egyptian Hakim recently. I just got around to shooting her. Ammo used was Yugo 50's surplus, Yugo 80's surplus, and Egyptian surplus. All was accurate enough (considering the issues I experienced with the weapon, read on...). The 50's Yugo wasn't much fun. 2/10 rounds would FTF and require a second strike. The Egyptian stuff was just as bad. The 8's surplus was a dream. Fed fine, shot fine, no failures of any kind. Need more of that!

400 rounds total were fired, of which I can report not one failure that cannot be attributed to 60 year old, poorly stored ammo. This 8MM semi auto is a sure attention getter, and the muzzle blast/audible report are very significant. Much more so than my bolt guns in the same cartridge. This is the best part... there is no recoil. Really. None. My SKS has more felt recoil. The weight, and semi automatic function soak up plenty of that felt recoil, I'm sure, but the muzzle break is also phenomenally affective.

Okay, so, to end the praise, I knew Bubba had put his hands on this one, but it looked like he did okay, considering he chopped up a historical firearm. I got a good deal on the rifle, ammo pouch, 16 stripper clips, and spare 25 round mag at $400.00. The chief complaint is that I wasn't hitting squat! I was shooting one foot to the right at 100 yards. 20 rounds in I had sourced the problem. The elevator deal on the rear sight (what the hell is that thing called?) was dramatically bent. So, I took it off, realizing that to account for distance, a little guess work would be required. What do you know... dead on, albeit, a little low. Two questions... the seller never mentioned the bent sight in the description. I've contacted him about it. If it isn't made right, is it cause for negative feedback? Secondly, where can I find a replacement?

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

On a side note, I have been shooting surplus pistols and bolt guns with corrosive ammo for years, but the semi auto's gas system scares me a little. Boiling hot soapy water, scrub, oil, degrease, oil again. Anything additional I need to be doing to protect my semi auto 8MM?

I have had 2 of these fine guns. lots of fun!

I used pipe cleaners for the gas system. seemed to work okay.

i53.tinypic.com_2vdflnb.jpg

i54.tinypic.com_2wq5ykm.jpg

Thanks for the link! Pipe cleaners, you say. I might just have to try that. Like I said, bubba put his special touch on this one. The handguard has been trimmed, and slots have been added (looks kinda cool, I guess) and the front sight has been altered by having the hood cut off (Wish I knew why... I like the hood). So, no bayonet for me : ( Since it's been bubba-fied, I was thinking about having some kind of parkerization or other extra protective finish applied. Can anybody make a recommendation there if I decide to?

Not sure if Numrich has the part I need or not. No illustration and my nomenclature isn't where it needs to be. I'm not 100% sure what that piece is called. Oh, and CR107, if you have any Hakim stuff laying about that you're tired of, let me know!

Parkerizing should be good enough. It was good enough for WWII!

Looks like he might have been trying to clone a German G/K 43with a bit of SVT-40 thrown in? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Walther_G43_8_x_57_IS_Semi-Automatic_Sniper_Rifle.jpg. I noticed the lack of front barrel band when I mentioned the bayonet. I dont think Numrich has the part, might try calling them . I know they have some parts.

Here is the schematic from Numrich, numbered for their parts list:
i54.tinypic.com_o89bb7.jpg

I think most of my stuff went with the guns, Ill look around though.

i wouldn't leave neg feedback. you inspected and bought a very old rifle. seller may not have known either. old guns are as is, unless someone just plain lies. how does he know the site didn't get bent by you transporting or dropping the rifle. i'd just let it go.

i wouldn't leave neg feedback. you inspected and bought a very old rifle. seller may not have known either. old guns are as is, unless someone just plain lies. how does he know the site didn't get bent by you transporting or dropping the rifle. i'd just let it go.

I suppose you're right. It could have just as easily happened in transit from Arizona to my local dealer. I'll let it go, but finding a replacement won't be easy... or cheap.

Back
Top Bottom