• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Elderly neighbor

I've seen worse in service.
Facts. Ole' boy probably never cleaned it and "lubed it" with WD40 and stuck in his sock drawer. There's probably fuzzies and dried lube and a little bit of rust under the stocks and in the trigger. It could be back and functioning in fifteen minutes.

Let's try a slightly different question to see if it helps better illustrate OP point of view:

I know this is an extreme example but humor me.
If your neighbors gas "chainsaw" would not start and they asked you if you know someone who can fix it.
You know nothing about a gas chainsaw because the chainsaw you own is electric.
You may be able to fix it, but in the future, anything that goes wrong with it will be your responsibility.
In the future, if the chain comes off that chainsaw and injures the neighbor, will the family blame you or even worse... sue you?

From a liability standpoint, even if it turns out to be a simple repair, is it better to just take the chainsaw down to the small engine repair shop and let them repair it?

A cleanup could solve the problem. The only things I'd recommend removing are the grips.

Toothbrush and some CLP. Scrub all the bits you can see that need it. No adjustments, tweaking or any kind of tools other than the ones you used to get the grips off. Wipe it clean, put the grips back on, check the action.

You'll have it working and looking almost like this pretty quickly.

CHA01_2.jpg

Let's try a slightly different question to see if it helps better illustrate OP point of view:

I know this is an extreme example but humor me.
If your neighbors gas "chainsaw" would not start and they asked you if you know someone who can fix it.
You know nothing about a gas chainsaw because the chainsaw you own is electric.
You may be able to fix it, but in the future, anything that goes wrong with it will be your responsibility.
In the future, if the chain comes off that chainsaw and injures the neighbor, will the family blame you or even worse... sue you?

From a liability standpoint, even if it turns out to be a simple repair, is it better to just take the chainsaw down to the small engine repair shop and let them repair it?
Well, this is a firearm forum. They have chainsaw forums. 🙂

teaching her how to clean and operate is a good educational experience; good will.
🤔

You guys did read she's almost 80 ? She could barely pull the hammer back
She has no interest in learning about firearms (HER words). She only cares about THIS pistol because it belonged to her dad (HER words) and she wants it be like new again when he first bought it

Back
Top Bottom