• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Elderly neighbor

You ALSO told us that she'd tried to use it to defend herself. I get it.

But it's quite possible all it needs is a routine clean - which really doesn't need a gunsmith. To have it fully stripped for a cleaning - sure - a gunsmith might be a good idea, but these guns really are very simple mechanisms. Just about any competent local gunsmith or even firearms enthusiast should be able to clean that baby up.

From the photos you posted, all of the rust etc looked pretty superficial.

A full renovation to "like new" is probably out of the question though.

To reiterate an earlier comment. Make sure your neighbor lady can handle the weapon safely. From what I've been reading it sounds like you would not want to take responsibility for this (and neither would I). If she's serious about using the gun for protection then she needs to be schooled by a professional, and if she doesn't want to do this then all bets are off, otherwise she could be more of a danger to herself and other neighbors.

If she can't afford this training then there are other, less dangerous options, up to and including a "GoFundMe" account for the training cost, to which I, and probably other ODT'ers, would be happy to contribute. Good luck.

You guys did read she's almost 80 ? She could barely pull the hammer back
She has no interest in learning about firearms (HER words). She only cares about THIS pistol because it belonged to her dad (HER words) and she wants it be like new again when he first bought it
Yes. I also read where she pulled the hammer back with the condition it's in. At least it will be clean when she throws it at an intruder.
My former mother in-law just finished a firearm class and she's 78.

See if Sandy will clean it up (Smallwoods) if you want..but a good cleaning quality lube would be fine. If I had any .38 special left I’d do it no cost and test it here. I live close to Smallwoods.

Last night I got a knock on the door. My elderly neighbor said she heard something out back of her house, it scared her so she grabbed her 38. She pulled back the hammer and it got stuck there and she didn't know what to do or who else to ask.
It's an old Charter Arms Undercover 38spl snub belonged to her long deceased father
She asked me if I could fix it. I got it to release the hammer, I barely got the cylinder open then unloaded it. She's not wealthy. Can someone tell me where to take it and roughly how much she'd be looking at to get it squared away in working order ?
I can roughly pull the trigger, it rotates the cylinder but it feels all gummed up everywhere1here are some pics I just took. Pics say a thousand words, it's got rust, gunk and dirt all over
I'm not a gun smith, don't have the tools or know how to take apart an old revolver
Any help would be appreciated

I know about steel wool and oil, been using it for years. It's got rust on the outside and by how hard it is to function it's most likely got rust inside also. Doesn't look like it's ever been cleaned
Looking for help finding a local gunsmith to go thru it for her and how much she's looking at
View attachment 5243490View attachment 5243497View attachment 5243498View attachment 5243499View attachment 5243500
You’re a good Man Sir, in helping this elderly Lady. God bless you.

Last night I got a knock on the door. My elderly neighbor said she heard something out back of her house, it scared her so she grabbed her 38. She pulled back the hammer and it got stuck there and she didn't know what to do or who else to ask.
It's an old Charter Arms Undercover 38spl snub belonged to her long deceased father
She asked me if I could fix it. I got it to release the hammer, I barely got the cylinder open then unloaded it. She's not wealthy. Can someone tell me where to take it and roughly how much she'd be looking at to get it squared away in working order ?
I can roughly pull the trigger, it rotates the cylinder but it feels all gummed up everywhere1here are some pics I just took. Pics say a thousand words, it's got rust, gunk and dirt all over
I'm not a gun smith, don't have the tools or know how to take apart an old revolver
Any help would be appreciated

I know about steel wool and oil, been using it for years. It's got rust on the outside and by how hard it is to function it's most likely got rust inside also. Doesn't look like it's ever been cleaned
Looking for help finding a local gunsmith to go thru it for her and how much she's looking at
View attachment 5243490View attachment 5243497View attachment 5243498View attachment 5243499View attachment 5243500
If you haven't found anyone, and can get it to me I can probably do it. If it's just disassembly, clean, and getting it functioning I wont charge you/her. I live near Commerce.

If you haven't found anyone, and can get it to me I can probably do it. If it's just disassembly, clean, and getting it functioning I wont charge you/her. I live near Commerce.
Thank you. Smallwood Arms is quite literally 10 minutes away. I'm going to take it by there on Thursday

Back
Top Bottom