• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electric Golf cart - solar charging

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
I need a way to get around the old hunting lease with no good knees.

Refuse to use a 4 wheeler.

No power at camp.

Has anyone ever charged a golf cart with solar.

I don't care if it's slow, will only use it once or twice a week so it would have plenty of time to charge.

A one amp solar charger can be built for 50 bucks. One for each battery will do it.

I built one for my tractor, will charge a dead battery in two days of sun.

The batteries are wired parallel, 36 or 48 volts.

Wouldn't you have to disconnect the batteries, and put a charger on each one.

The cost of the chargers could be do- able, I'm just thinking what a PITA connecting and disconnecting the batteries would be.

Same situation as charging 24V in a boat.

I use a solar charger to keep my 12 V boat battery topped up.

(Funny, never thought about doing it on tractor, tunnel vision, but that's a heck of good idea)

Do you mean series ? That would add the voltages together. You can charge by wiring to the individual batteries I believe, if the series circuit if broken.

The batteries are wired parallel, 36 or 48 volts.

Wouldn't you have to disconnect the batteries, and put a charger on each one.

The cost of the chargers could be do- able, I'm just thinking what a PITA connecting and disconnecting the batteries would be.

Same situation as charging 24V in a boat.

I use a solar charger to keep my 12 V boat battery topped up.

(Funny, never thought about doing it on tractor, tunnel vision, but that's a heck of good idea)

Tractor is real handy, and easier to load on a trailer.

Do you mean series ? That would add the voltages together. You can charge by wiring to the individual batteries I believe.

You are correct. Series.

I still think you have to disconnect the battery from each other (or use an isolator that does it electronically), otherwise you would have 36/48 volts feeding in to your charger.

You can tell I'm really spitballing this.

You are correct. Series.

I still think you have to disconnect the battery from each other (or use an isolator that does it electronically), otherwise you would have 36/48 volts feeding in to your charger.

You can tell I'm really spitballing this.

Check it out with your volt meter.

To make it easier.

You would need to install disconnect switches between each battery connecting the neg to the pos.
Have a series of clamps wired together to supply positive power to each pos terminal and another series for the Neg terminal of each battery from the charger and one charger should charge them all simultaneously.

Remove the clips, flip the switches, and ride.

To make it easier.

You would need to install disconnect switches between each battery connecting the neg to the pos.
Have a series of clamps wired together to supply positive power to each pos terminal and another series for the Neg terminal of each battery from the charger and one charger should charge them all simultaneously.

Remove the clips, flip the switches, and ride.

I can see how that would work, and not cost a ton of money, not much problem once you get it set up.

Back
Top Bottom