• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electric smokers

Just1more

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Retired
220   0
Reaction score
looking at getting an electric smoker. Anybody have one that can give pros and cons? Actually wanting something to replace my Big Green Egg since I don't use it much anymore.

I have a Wellbuilt I think, it came from Academy 3 years ago. I use it all of the time.
I had a charcoal smoker and liked it but it was too much work to use often.
Mine has the glass window on the door which to me is a waste of money, it hazes over pretty quick so you can't see through it anyway.
Never clean the inside of the smoker itself just pull the drip pan and racks out clean them and dump the ashes from wood tray.

Masterbuilt 30 or 40” electric are both good and easy to use. Have to put chips in every 45 mins but that is all there is to it. Saw the 30” on sale recently for $129 but can’t remember where. Academy usually has on sale in January

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using a Big Green Egg exclusively for 3-4 years now. There is no better smoker as far as I'm concerned.

With that said, I bought a Masterbuilt 30" electric with digital controls about 2 years ago, for several reasons. We take it camping with us, so that while we are out hiking, boating, etc., we can have LOTS of food in the smoker cooking and ready to eat when we get back to camp.

The 30" model has 4 racks, and will hold 6-7 full racks of ribs if you cut them properly, 4 or more medium sized butts, and a boatload of wings. I use ours during those times when we are hanging out at home and I have so many people over that I can not get enough wings on the Egg. I load the Egg up, then put the others in the Masterbuilt.

The digital control sets a temp from 100-275 degrees. It also has a timer so you can set the length of cooking time. I agree with the other comment about the glass window. It is useless. It gets covered in smoke and is impossible to see.

We never clean the inside of ours either. Only clean and sanitize the stainless steel racks.

We like ours so much that we also bought my daughter one for Christmas.

I would buy another Masterbuilt in a heartbeat. They are located in Columbus, GA. If something were to happen, the factory is close by.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom