• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electrical question - new house - GFCI everywhere

Lightning8

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
171   0
Reaction score
I bought a new house and it seems like every outlet that is anyway associated with "exterior" is GFCI. Front porch, back porch, garage exterior, garage interior. I have a freezer in the garage and on two occasions in last few months GFCI has tripped. Do not think there is issue with freezer or freezer pulling too many amps, etc. Is it code now to have so many GFCI?

I bought a new house and it seems like every outlet that is anyway associated with "exterior" is GFCI. Front porch, back porch, garage exterior, garage interior. I have a freezer in the garage and on two occasions in last few months GFCI has tripped. Do not think there is issue with freezer or freezer pulling too many amps, etc. Is it code now to have so many GFCI?
Don't know about code but we bought our house 30+ years ago (it was new) and it has GFCI on ALL exterior receptacles. The garage interior is the same.

Not an electrician but I know they want them anywhere there is water!

GFCI receptacles are not intended to power loads with motors/compressors. They are very sensitive to electrical surge (motors cycling on and off), freezers tripping GFCI's is a known issue, typically the recommendation is to simply replace the GFCI with a standard receptacle - if the receptacle is in the garage (not a carport), I personally would have no issue exchanging the receptacle because there is minimal potential for the receptacle to become a hazard due to getting wet. I would however be mindful of that if you ever decide to pressure wash the garage! LOL

Back
Top Bottom