• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electrician needed to rewire historic home

mc678

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
68   0
Reaction score
i have a 124 year old home in Butts county needing to be rewired. It currently has a mixture of knob and tube, Romex, and cloth type romex?? . Fuse and breaker panels. 2 stories.

I’ve talked to a few electricians and the consensus has been that they are not capable or set up for the job. I understand wanting the easy fast and quick paying work... but I know someone out there would like to tackle this project.

Any ODT members out there specialize in historic homes? I’m wanting to do as little damage to bead board ceiling as possible.

I've only worked knob and tube once. Gonna be a little tricky finding someone. Maybe Darkdiesel Darkdiesel knows someone. Unfortunately im there with your previous electricians in we're just not set up for that, small crew. Any reason you want the whole house rewired? Rarely do we ever "rewire" a whole house, hence the reason you have a mixture of knob, cloth, and new Romex. Maybe would be better to try and maintain the stuff as best as possible and tackle very troubled parts individually. there's still knob and tube out there to be bought believe it or not. Good luck I love the historic homes but dang they're a bear to work in!

I've only worked knob and tube once. Gonna be a little tricky finding someone. Maybe Darkdiesel Darkdiesel knows someone. Unfortunately im there with your previous electricians in we're just not set up for that, small crew. Any reason you want the whole house rewired? Rarely do we ever "rewire" a whole house, hence the reason you have a mixture of knob, cloth, and new Romex. Maybe would be better to try and maintain the stuff as best as possible and tackle very troubled parts individually. there's still knob and tube out there to be bought believe it or not. Good luck I love the historic homes but dang they're a bear to work in!

We've rewired several older homes. If we're lucky it's after sheetrock(or plaster) has been removed. I've also rewired homes with gen 1 plaster, I plan on killing at least $100 worth of sawzall and multi tool blades when we do anything with plaster. On the plus side a plaster house has no insulation in the walls.

Thanks for input fellas. I’ve talked to Darkdiesel and he is gonna come check it Out.

Jds556762, maybe a whole house rewire isn’t needed. But some of it is just a hack job... they did what they had to do to get electrical in every room which meant running wires up the side of the house and through the walls... but hey it is all working..

Thanks for input fellas. I’ve talked to Darkdiesel and he is gonna come check it Out.

Jds556762, maybe a whole house rewire isn’t needed. But some of it is just a hack job... they did what they had to do to get electrical in every room which meant running wires up the side of the house and through the walls... but hey it is all working..

Man that's a shame, unfortunately I handle that day in day out in the modern residential setting. I almost get it in a house that has 120 years of DIY jack leg wiring that's a lot of life right there, but when you see it in a 5 year old, 500,000.00 house with a family of 4 I just can't ever understand why people hire un-licensed tradesmen. It's your possessions, family, and life, but hey I also never tell a man what to do in his own home, just don't understand it. Im confident Diesel will have some good ideas for you when he lays eyes on it. I think it's a really cool project, I think it's also important to maintain history like that for as long as one can. Good luck both of you!

Back
Top Bottom