• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electromagnetic Pulse

Yep. EMP is fiction bull**** to sell prepping supplies and give Hermets something to get a hard on over on the internet.

The United States government has been trying to get an EMP to do something for the last 50 years. So far they haven't so much as stopped a clock radio.

I'm more worried about the 16 year old taking a selfie on the freeway
What makes you think that about the US Government experiments? The effects of an EMP have been proven many many times.

Just finished One Second After. Any other recommendations?
Patriots by James Wesley, Rawles.

It's not about an EMP, but is pretty detailed about survival after the SHTF. A little out of date, but still very good.

You also mentioned about getting land in the Mountains. I don't know why this seems to be the default for survivalists. Very limited and often poor land for agriculture. Much less wild game and very predictable travel patterns (easy to get ambushed).

I'd head for the Piedmont or even further south. Lot's of land, lots of game, lots of space, plenty of water and population density is so low in many places you could live for decades without ever seeing anyone if modern transportation goes down.

So you got nothing.
3 things

1. You can't argue with conspiracy theorists and the like so it's not worth trying.

2. My double PHD Nuclear Physicist uncle who worked at Los Alamos and Sandia Labs his entire life studying the effects and attempting to weaponize EMP tells me it's bull**** and they can't even take out a clock radio. He knows a lot more about it than I do so I take his word for it.

3. I have a magnetic VP shunt and clip in my brain. An electromagnetic pulse strong enough to fry circuitry would kill me instantly so I really don't give a **** about it even if it was a real thing.

"On March 13, 1989 the entire province of Quebec, Canada suffered an electrical power blackout. Hundreds of blackouts occur in some part of North America every year. The Quebec Blackout was different, because this one was caused by a solar storm!"

This was not the big one, but take a glance at the article.

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/sun_darkness.html

Patriots by James Wesley, Rawles.

It's not about an EMP, but is pretty detailed about survival after the SHTF. A little out of date, but still very good.

You also mentioned about getting land in the Mountains. I don't know why this seems to be the default for survivalists. Very limited and often poor land for agriculture. Much less wild game and very predictable travel patterns (easy to get ambushed).

I'd head for the Piedmont or even further south. Lot's of land, lots of game, lots of space, plenty of water and population density is so low in many places you could live for decades without ever seeing anyone if modern transportation goes down.

The more I'm reading about it, the more I agree mountains might not be the way to go. The only worries about heading the GA lowlands is higher temps for viruses and bacteria and potable water sources. Also, while the mountains does have more predictable travel patterns, mountains can still give you better vantage points. I'm thinking closer to the middle of the country, maybe east Tenn or Kentucky?

I think the threat of someone hacking into the power grid system and shutting it down or severely damaging it in several different regions is a more likely event but I never rule out anything.

The more I'm reading about it, the more I agree mountains might not be the way to go. The only worries about heading the GA lowlands is higher temps for viruses and bacteria and potable water sources. Also, while the mountains does have more predictable travel patterns, mountains can still give you better vantage points. I'm thinking closer to the middle of the country, maybe east Tenn or Kentucky?
You will need to purify water wherever you're at. The actual temp difference is insignificant concerning viruses and bacteria. A mountain might give you a good vantage point in certain situations, but seldom the one you need. Flatlands will actually give you better visibility. Especially in agricultural areas.

3 things

1. You can't argue with conspiracy theorists and the like so it's not worth trying.

2. My double PHD Nuclear Physicist uncle who worked at Los Alamos and Sandia Labs his entire life studying the effects and attempting to weaponize EMP tells me it's bull**** and they can't even take out a clock radio. He knows a lot more about it than I do so I take his word for it.

3. I have a magnetic VP shunt and clip in my brain. An electromagnetic pulse strong enough to fry circuitry would kill me instantly so I really don't give a **** about it even if it was a real thing.
Then why is it so easy to find demonstrations of home made EMP devises disrupting electronics?

You may be wrong about the effect on the shunt. The most powerful effect from an EMP is the results of the charge being built up by contact with long distance power lines and such. Very small stand alone circuitry would be least effected unless it's very delicate.

Back
Top Bottom