• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Elementary School discipline

[QUOTE=

If a teacher can't maintain control of her classroom, she has no business teaching.

I totally disagree with this, some teachers are better than others at it. It's like telling every teacher they have to be a teacher, social worker, policeman, AND drill instructor with the variety of kids they face. Think of the particular difficulty you are dealing with, would you like having him and 20-30 other kids as well?

They are paid to teach, not disciplinine, although that sometimes becomes a factor. If it's bad enough, that's where an administrator should become involved. I get it, some kids are flat out more strong willed than others. I have friends that can flat out spank their 4 yo for 30 minutes straight and he will go right back to doing what got him in trouble. So is that his teacher's responsibility if he acts that way in school?

"Good afternoon
Alex has still been bring toys and trading cards to school. Today I asked him to put the cards in his book bag because he was playing with them in the middle of class. He went to his book bag but did not put them in there. During lunch he pulled the cards out again and started passing them out to other students. This has happened with Alex several times when I have asked him to put toys away. He also still is not paying attention in class and not completing his work because he would rather play with the things at his desk or his jacket."

You mean to tell me that a teacher can't make a 6 year old put his playthings away so she can teach the class?

She asked him to put them in his book bag. He went to his book bag but apparently did not put them in there like he was told. She can't ensure that he actually does put them in his book bag? If he does not, she should be able to take them and put them in her desk, or he will have to stand with his nose to the wall for say, 10 minutes. As an adult, she should not "ASK" any child to do anything. She should be "TELLING."

That report card bit is hilarious!

I still have that card! :becky:

(Before my Mom passed she went through her stash and sent us all the "mementos" she saved, lol.)

You can imagine that when my 7 year old daughter (now 34) threw away a note from the teacher, I had to try really, really hard not to laugh.
Then I went upstairs and called my Mom and we laughed together.
I think I swatted her tail three times, but I went on about it for an hour and a half and acted very upset.
(She doesn't remember being swatted, but clearly remembers being scared of what was coming, lol.)

Great times! :becky:

Ya'll are going to look back on these times and laugh - every time ....

"Good afternoon
Alex has still been bring toys and trading cards to school. Today I asked him to put the cards in his book bag because he was playing with them in the middle of class. He went to his book bag but did not put them in there. During lunch he pulled the cards out again and started passing them out to other students. This has happened with Alex several times when I have asked him to put toys away. He also still is not paying attention in class and not completing his work because he would rather play with the things at his desk or his jacket."

You mean to tell me that a teacher can't make a 6 year old put his playthings away so she can teach the class?

I like the part where he's good at sharing!

I like the part where he's good at sharing!

He's very personable, that's for sure. Honestly, he's trusting to a fault. He's never met a stranger and he sees no bad in anybody. It's very humbling to see his relationships with other people.

He's a good kid even though I'm making it sound like he isn't. He really is...every now and then, he'll find a soft spot in people (adults) and figures out he can keep getting away with the same thing over and over. This is one of those few times. We're getting a grip on it though.

Back
Top Bottom