• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Elementary School discipline

"It's like telling every teacher they have to be a teacher, social worker, policeman, AND drill instructor with the variety of kids they face."

If someone signs up to be a teacher and does not EXPECT this to be the case, and is not WILLING to do this when the time arises, then they have most certainly picked the wrong career field.

Well I obviously can't parent while he's at school, now can I?

When he is in HER classroom, it is her responsibility to maintain discipline. No different than when you use a babysitter.
Not to beat you up, but yes you can. Your actions, whatever you choose, should relate even when you are not around.

As I grew older and wilder I didn't cross certain "lines" always mindful of my daddy's teaching (including discipline).
Every child needs different discipline to be effective, the trick is finding what works for you and him.

Did the parent doing the spanking do it out of a fit of rage? Did they explain to the child why they were being punished?

If the parent isn't as smart as the kid, the kid will always win.

The max number of whacks with a paddle I did to my kids was 4. None of my kids, who are grown now, ever got paddled five times in their life I was cry calm and collected. Never punish your kids when you are mad.
We always talked about why I was having to do this. I let the kids tell me why.

I'll guarantee you one thing, if the first paddling wasn't sufficient at getting their attention, the second one would get a grown man's attention.:shocked:

Most parents don't do any discipline at home, they only do it in public because they become embarrassed that their kid is running over them.

If I paddled a grown man for 30 minutes, he would have passed out after 15 minutes. :wacko: I like to wait about 5 second between whacks.:becky:

My wife is extremely hands on and loves to hold teachers accountable. She said the teacher needs to do "behavior modification". She said to make the suggestion to the teacher, that she tells Alex that he can bring the toys/cards to school on Friday and do a 5 min show and tell to the class where he can bring a bunch of toys to school to show the class. In order to do this he would have to leave the stuff home Wednesday and Thursday. The teacher has to emphasis that if he does this he will be rewarded by being able to show the class what he has. She said it helps to put his name up on the board, but if he doesn't hold up his end of the bargain to take the name down. Also that if he doesn't do it his turn will be given to someone else in the class room. My wife said you have to reinforce it at home, remind him of the deal and tell him you'll buy him a brand new toy to show the class on Friday. If it works, after the show and tell the teacher can hold his stuff until next week.

She said this is the best solution although its the most involved. Let me know if you or the teacher isn't willing to try it and I will ask about a more direct approach of just taking the toys away although I will say, just as my own opinion, that seems like a lazy way to handle the situation. If he has as much stuff as you say he does he ain't going to be missing having his stuff taken away.
Sounds a lot like bribery.

Dude ... my mom used to make me go get my own switch's
Then wear my legs out while running in circles...
My dad was my refuge when he got home from work
If my mom had to get me earlier it would be holy hell when my dad got home.

Not to beat you up, but yes you can. Your actions, whatever you choose, should relate even when you are not around.

As I grew older and wilder I didn't cross certain "lines" always mindful of my daddy's teaching (including discipline).
Every child needs different discipline to be effective, the trick is finding what works for you and him.

You're right. Obviously I failed at making that stick. Hopefully that changed last night.

It is not the job of the teacher to parent. Take the kids toys away.
This...
I find that taking things that matter to them works well. If he knows he will loose whatever he takes to school, and knows it will not be replaced, it should get the message across.
And that the parents responsibility not the teachers.

You're right. Obviously I failed at making that stick. Hopefully that changed last night.
It's a long road. Something work and something's don't. You will learn just like him. Wait till your raising grandkids. I only thought I figured it out...:frusty: now they're girls! UUUGGGG

He's very personable, that's for sure. Honestly, he's trusting to a fault. He's never met a stranger and he sees no bad in anybody. It's very humbling to see his relationships with other people.

He's a good kid even though I'm making it sound like he isn't. He really is...every now and then, he'll find a soft spot in people (adults) and figures out he can keep getting away with the same thing over and over. This is one of those few times. We're getting a grip on it though.

"He's a good kid", by who's standards? I made my kids behave at home, and dared them to disobey or misbehave away from home.
Once my kid, when he was about 6, disobeyed me when we were away from home. I told him that he was going to get a buttwhooping when we go home. About 8 hours later, after we got home, I sent him to his room. About 15 minutes later I went in to visit. I din't have any more trouble with not doing as he was told.
I really don't think that I was all that fortunate to have special kids that were easily trainable. I think that consistence is the key to discipline.

Big Mike Brown, AKA the Gentle Giant, was a goot boy, if you believed his momma, so was Treyvon Martin.

I'm not trying to beat you up, but how many times do you have to repeat what you tell your child to do? If it's any at all, then you are failing.

"Ok, I'm going to tell you one more time to pick up your toys" for the tenth time?

If you take anything else to school that your teacher disapproves of, I'm going to take this board and whack you across your buttocks. Come here son. Do you see this board? Bend over. Here's a little sample of what's to come if you misbehave at school again.

First you should whack yourself across your buttocks with the board to get a feel for things. A 30" long piece of 1"x4" with a handle carved into it, and sanded with the edges rounded, then hang it it plain view for his enjoyment on a daily basis.

Your kid ain't supposed to be your friend, until they are grown.

I don't at all doubt that his son is a good hearted kid, probably a lot more caring than my 7 yo. It's just an area where the challenges of parenting are faced. He's not stealing or beating anyone up, it's being strong willed. The area we deal with ours is being a little "democrat", he seems to have an idea that "why should he do anything when someone else can". We are also trying to work with him on facing adversity and persevering (kinda goes in with him being lazy about chores and such). I look at some parents that face far bigger challenges than this from autism to various health problems and I'm thankful that this is all I face.

Btw, my son's teacher sent out an email recently for kids not to bring any toys to school also.

Back
Top Bottom