• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

eliminate T-stat on motorcycle?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
I may have a defective thermostat on my motorcycle, a V-twin Honda shadow 1100.

The thermostat is very difficult to get to --you gotta take off the seat and the gas tank, and remove a plastic electrical sub-panel or electrical box,
then you have to take out both ignition coils (One for each cylinder).

After all that, it still doesn't appear there will be enough room for adult human hands to fit in that space to take out the thermostat, so I have to enlist the help of a 10 year old niece and teach her how to turn a wrench!

If I ever go through all the trouble of doing that, I'm thinking that I would want to reassemble the cooling system without any thermostat in place, so the problem could never ever happen again!

What's the disadvantage of having a free-flowing cooling system that is not artificially blocked during the first dozen minutes of idling, or for the first few minutes of on-road operation?

This is a naked cruiser (bordering on a rat rod / cafe racer type of bike), and it has no amenities. Unlike a car or SUV I don't have any cabin heater or windshield defroster.

image.jpg

Don’t do it The bike doesn’t make enough heat to open loop in the winter. Doesn’t have enough radiator to stay cool in the summer. Will foul plugs through the winter and run warmer in the summer.

You never want to run a open System. It regulates engine at optimal Temps and does help the engine to get up to heat. Always replace parts with oem quality parts. They are there for a reason. Especially on today's computer controlled engines. Fuel is regulated by a number of factors including proper engine temp. I am guessing it is fuel injected I may be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom