• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Elon Musk is Done....

Yeah.

Sky's the limit for them.

Tesla reminds me of something a very good investor told me.... "Don't jump on the first of anything. Wait until about the 3rd iteration..... The first is always a dog. Take a couple of iterations and someone will figure it out."

Very good advice. Tesla is the compuserve of electric cars. They are the commodore 64. The Dogpile search engine.

Tesla's best hope is to get bought out. It is a good idea, but a horrible implementation-just all those other "firsts."

Musk really is losing his mind. I read a while back that he was sleeping in the factory. Obsessed with turning it into a "machine which makes machines." He doesn't understand production, and he is obsessed with turning the factory into some kind of fully-automated line. It's not possible, and it won't become possible anytime soon. The major auto companies already threw many billions at automation, and found that while robots are great at stuff like spot welding, they are absolutely horrible at stuff requiring dexterity-like installing a dashboard, or routing wiring bundles. Production managers actually understand that sort of thing, but Musk is too arrogant to talk to any of them.

Musk is probably going to run the company into the ground. Good idea, but he is not talented enough to manage the company, and his ego won't allow him to see his shortcomings and hire someone who can do it right.

Quick question; Do you live on planet Earth? Tesla just posted back to back profitability for the last two quarters. That’s something they havent done before. Granted, US taxpayer subsidies had a hand in that, but they’ve actually made an electric car that people want to drive, and with a $35k model, one that many people can actually afford. I don’t understand all the hate.

Yeah.

Sky's the limit for them.

Tesla reminds me of something a very good investor told me.... "Don't jump on the first of anything. Wait until about the 3rd iteration..... The first is always a dog. Take a couple of iterations and someone will figure it out."

Very good advice. Tesla is the compuserve of electric cars. They are the commodore 64. The Dogpile search engine.

Tesla's best hope is to get bought out. It is a good idea, but a horrible implementation-just all those other "firsts."

Musk really is losing his mind. I read a while back that he was sleeping in the factory. Obsessed with turning it into a "machine which makes machines." He doesn't understand production, and he is obsessed with turning the factory into some kind of fully-automated line. It's not possible, and it won't become possible anytime soon. The major auto companies already threw many billions at automation, and found that while robots are great at stuff like spot welding, they are absolutely horrible at stuff requiring dexterity-like installing a dashboard, or routing wiring bundles. Production managers actually understand that sort of thing, but Musk is too arrogant to talk to any of them.

Musk is probably going to run the company into the ground. Good idea, but he is not talented enough to manage the company, and his ego won't allow him to see his shortcomings and hire someone who can do it right.
You think that Tesla is the first iteration of electric vehicles? Oooookaaaaaay.

Quick question; Do you live on planet Earth? Tesla just posted back to back profitability for the last two quarters. That’s something they havent done before. Granted, US taxpayer subsidies had a hand in that, but they’ve actually made an electric car that people want to drive, and with a $35k model, one that many people can actually afford. I don’t understand all the hate.

Like I say, they are a great idea, but a horrible implementation.

The "profit" is due to subsidies and the massive layoffs they have pulled.

The biggest issue is Musk himself. He has no management training or background in this area, and people are too scared of him to ever try and tell him anything. The tech bubble he lives in is more like a religious cult than anything else. Most people don't understand the extent to which someone like Musk or Bezos gets worshipped. Goes way beyond standard cubicle ass-kissing.

Tesla needs a CEO who actually knows manufacturing. Someone who understands the processes would put the company on solid ground. Musk's approach is uninformed and extremely harmful. He has wasted a huge amount of money because he has no idea what he's doing.

The other big factor is that Tesla is quickly losing its technology lead. Many other manufacturers will be coming out with assistive driving tech very shortly. Sure, a bunch of tech people could continue throwing money at the company to keep it afloat, but as far as a stand-alone business, it is unlikely to survive.

I couldn't drive a Tesla, the range anxiety would give me a heart attack. My boss has a model 3, he lives in NH and drives into Boston, and once a day, he has to stop for 45 minutes to quick charge it up.

No thanks.

I couldn't drive a Tesla, the range anxiety would give me a heart attack. My boss has a model 3, he lives in NH and drives into Boston, and once a day, he has to stop for 45 minutes to quick charge it up.

No thanks.

Reliability has definitely become an issue.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...es-cr-recommendation-over-reliability-issues/

One thing I really like about tesla is they have pushed battery technology farther along. Hopefully, these advances will continue. If batteries continue to get better and lighter, we could see a fast-charging car with serious range-probably something with a large capacitor. That could be a real game-changer.

The main problem I have with any electric or hybrid car is the batteries. Eventually they will need to be replaced. No one has come out with a cheap/common way to do that.
If you replace your (new) cars every 3 or 5 years, no problem. If you keep your cars (possibly bought used) 10, 15, or more years, big problem.
If that problem gets solved (common cells, replace the cells as they go bad, easy/cheap replacement/diagnostics), electric would get much more realistic.
JMHO.

The main problem I have with any electric or hybrid car is the batteries. Eventually they will need to be replaced. No one has come out with a cheap/common way to do that.
If you replace your (new) cars every 3 or 5 years, no problem. If you keep your cars (possibly bought used) 10, 15, or more years, big problem.
If that problem gets solved (common cells, replace the cells as they go bad, easy/cheap replacement/diagnostics), electric would get much more realistic.
JMHO.

If y'all know anyone who has a prius, battery replacement doesn't look terrible for someone with average or better mechanical skillz:

But those cars have another big problem. The starter is built into a regenerative braking drive, and those damned things are about 2k-just for the part.

The battery replacement thing is a total scam. Why a shop charges so much is beyond me.

th

Back
Top Bottom