• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Elon Musk is Done....

The main problem I have with any electric or hybrid car is the batteries. Eventually they will need to be replaced. No one has come out with a cheap/common way to do that.
If you replace your (new) cars every 3 or 5 years, no problem. If you keep your cars (possibly bought used) 10, 15, or more years, big problem.
If that problem gets solved (common cells, replace the cells as they go bad, easy/cheap replacement/diagnostics), electric would get much more realistic.
JMHO.

Read the studies. Tesla batteries are outperforming their own expectations. They guarantee 70% remaining capacity after 120K miles on the long range Model 3. They're projecting 80% life remaining after 500K miles. Assuming, of course, you follow their charging guidelines and don't supercharge to 95 or 100% frequently.

If y'all know anyone who has a prius, battery replacement doesn't look terrible for someone with average or better mechanical skillz:

But those cars have another big problem. The starter is built into a regenerative braking drive, and those damned things are about 2k-just for the part.

The battery replacement thing is a total scam. Why a shop charges so much is beyond me.

Shops charge what they charge because the techs have tens of thousands of $ in tools and time invested in training and they need to get paid.
Myself- I have about $70k in my tools and I hold an Associate in applied Technology usinh Automotive as a major. That took me 4.5yrs at night to get (2yr degree) then I trained for 5 yrs OTJ before i took and passed my master certifications.
The shop itself has invested at least $100k or more for investment to open to gen public to repair cars. They need to recoup $ as well and turn a profit.
This is why most shop rates are at $100/125 hr.

4DA4692D-7AF1-4F67-8B6F-FAD27E71CD0F.jpeg

If you’re not capable of fixing ! GFY

Most car companies go bankrupt... that's how the Big Three ended up with all their different brands. At one time a Dodge was really different than a Chrysler, and a Buik was different than an Oldsmobile.

It doesn't matter... Tesla is probably big enough to survive, and if they don;t they have done more to make electric cars the future than anyone else I can think of.

I don't see gas vehicles going away until there is a major, order-of-magnitude change in battery technology, but electrics are going to be a significant part of the new car mix from now on, and that's entirely due to Tesla.

I'll admit, the guy is weird, but genius is rarely conventional. If he can give electric cars a foothold, and get us moving towards space again, I'll let him get away with whatever he wants to rap about.

Most car companies go bankrupt... that's how the Big Three ended up with all their different brands. At one time a Dodge was really different than a Chrysler, and a Buik was different than an Oldsmobile.

It doesn't matter... Tesla is probably big enough to survive, and if they don;t they have done more to make electric cars the future than anyone else I can think of.

I don't see gas vehicles going away until there is a major, order-of-magnitude change in battery technology, but electrics are going to be a significant part of the new car mix from now on, and that's entirely due to Tesla.

I'll admit, the guy is weird, but genius is rarely conventional. If he can give electric cars a foothold, and get us moving towards space again, I'll let him get away with whatever he wants to rap about.
The line between crazy and eccentric genius can be very thin at times.

They are not mutually exclusive, either.

Back
Top Bottom