• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

emergency food question

diacnik

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
John 14:6
85   0
Reaction score
Have any of y'all compared/ contrasted the differences in dehydrated foods vs. freeze dried foods? I have done a little reading but want your input in regard to nutrition, storability, taste, cost, etc. Thanks

Yes. But when I did the math it just wasn’t for me. Ended up vac sealing a good bit of pretty standard rice snd beans, along with the stuff in a very well stacked pantry and 3 freezers.

So much of it tastes bland and costs an arm and a leg to buy processed. The dryers are crazy expensive by themselves. Math wasn’t there for what I see as insurance

Vacuum seal your favorites and have a supply of dehydrated on hand. If the dehydrated tastes like trash, it won't be eaten until it's damn near required. I just package favorites and every couple of years use what's sealed and replace it with fresh. look at the vacuum seal thread, good advice there.

I use quart jars. Glass let’s no air in. Get oxygen absorbers. Run the jars and lids through the dishwasher and let dry for a long time (no moisture). Fill with beans, rice, pasta, sugar, oats, wheat, corn, potato flakes, powdered milk, etc. Add oxygen absorbers and screw tight. Lid will pop in and you’re good for up to thirty years. Has to be a true dried food. Also use food grade buckets to store salts, ascorbic acid, soy, Worcestershire, coffee, syrup, honey, molasses, vinegar, etc.

Back
Top Bottom