• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Emergency Power

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
A lot of us have a gas/diesel/NG/Propane fueled generator. I have used mine several times over the years. Once I needed it for over 3 days straight during a winter storm outage. But if the outage was extended for a week or longer and was wide spread, I would exhaust all of my fuel with no ability to replace it. It looks like a solar system is the only viable option for such a scenario - a system with batteries, inverter, and solar panels for recharging. Such a systems get expensive in a hurry as the power requirements increase. A lot of the inverters are junk from China and are overrated in terms of performance and are not reliable. Any of you have recommendations? The batteries are a big deal. They are expensive with vastly different life expectancies, etc. - any recommendations?

A lot of us have a gas/diesel/NG/Propane fueled generator. I have used mine several times over the years. Once I needed it for over 3 days straight during a winter storm outage. But if the outage was extended for a week or longer and was wide spread, I would exhaust all of my fuel with no ability to replace it. It looks like a solar system is the only viable option for such a scenario - a system with batteries, inverter, and solar panels for recharging. Such a systems get expensive in a hurry as the power requirements increase. A lot of the inverters are junk from China and are overrated in terms of performance and are not reliable. Any of you have recommendations? The batteries are a big deal. They are expensive with vastly different life expectancies, etc. - any recommendations?
The UK has a large canal boat community that runs off solar. It's helping bringing the cost of solar down and better gear to market. Search youtube for "narrow boat solar". I've been looking at options for car camping. Lots of new gear out there, panels, batteries and controllers.

Back
Top Bottom