• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Employer searching vehicle - interesting

In '96 I took a job at a convenience store. No weapons on store property was part of the contract. I refused to sign it based on not even allowing a gun on the premises. The manager struck through that part of the contract and I accepted the job. W/in a few months the manager was gone and I was carrying in the store.

The GF works for USPS and I am always concerned w/ going in the back lot and getting searched. But, until they offer a lock box at the entrance, I will continue to be armed. I think it is ridiculous to expect people to go home, clean out their vehicle and drive back to the PO to mail a package.

Nothing to hide in mine either. That said nobody is searching my private property without a warrant.

It's not an issue of what they may find but rather I refuse to work somewhere that would even try.
I agree. If a company I work for wanted to search my car, they are probably wanting to get rid of me anyways. I don't see any reason a company would want to search employee cars unless you are stealing from them and putting it in your car. That would give them reason to search.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The law (OCGA 15-11-135) generally bans both employers' suspicionless vehicle searches and no-weapons-in-vehicles employment policies.
But there are several exceptions, based on what type of employer you work for, what type of parking lots security they have, or what type of parking facility it is --meaning ;permanent or temporary).

Note also that this law does not trump the standard long-held (& cherished) doctrine of "employment at will". You *can* be fired and you do not have a right to sue to get your job back.
However the Attorney General of the state may have the potential to file a civil action against your employer, and fine them.

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2017/title-16/chapter-11/article-4/part-3/section-16-11-135/

I work for the FAA and cannot bring weapons on the property. We do have armed guards and they periodically check vehicles coming in. The only place weapons are allowed on FAA property is in Alaska.

Back
Top Bottom