Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here. Registered users also see less ads!

EMU !

Thread in 'Free Stuff' started by BobcatMan, Dec 9, 2016.

1. BobcatMan

BobcatMan ODT Junkie!

69   1

Rating
    98.5%
    this is hard for me to consider but i am wondering if there are any good homes out there that would be interested in giving my emu a forever home. Im almost posotive its a male. i raised it from a chick and he's really friendly. I have gotten myself into a lot of responsibilities so if someone happens to have a great spot for him and interested i would like to talk. Part of the reason is that my fencing setup is starting to fail on me, i should have used t-posts instead of rough cut posts. they are rotting and breaking off at ground level after only 1 year. Big Bird is 3-4 years old now and eats emu maintenance pellets from tractor supply. holler at me with any questions. thanks 20160801_185859.jpg

dep411, bigred1980, Sigweld17 and 6 others like this.
  2. BangBang

BangBang The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

45   0

Rating
    100%
    Another reason I love ODT.....

You never know what you'll see on here! LOL

I hope Big Bird finds a good home.

ncrinc12, sam1976, Jblue and 14 others like this.
  3. GeauxLSU

GeauxLSU Moderator Staff Member

26   0

Rating
    100%
    I'd think a listing in the Farmer's Mkt Bulletin would find him a home quickly.
    Good luck. "Almost" wish I could take him. But I don't want anything else that eats and poops. :)

4. poopdaddy

poopdaddy ODT Junkie!

196   0

Rating
    100%
    need to talk to the wife on this one.. love to have me a giant chicken....

5. GeauxLSU

26   0

Rating
    100%
    BTW I see the corn and deer in the background. You have some deer as well? What all do you have at your zoo? :cool:

payneed and Northgagunman like this.
  6. poopdaddy

poopdaddy ODT Junkie!

196   0

Rating
    100%
    just talked to my sister. she is checking with her husband. they have a bit of a hobby farm.
    do you think he would be ok running with a few horses?

7. CBH13

CBH13 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

78   0

Rating
    100%
    reminds me of when I was a kid, mom's dated a guy who had some sort of small farm that had some emu's ostriches and other crazy stuff. Those things looked like giants as a kid

8. BobcatMan

BobcatMan ODT Junkie!

69   1

Rating
    98.5%
    Deer are here all the time. i used to have goats and chickens, the goats started eating big birds feathers had to go, then went the chickens soon after ( to an odter ). Now big bird hangs out outside and doesn't get much interaction except when the deer come by or when 2 of my dogs go out loose to run around. I have 7 dogs tho, i need to spend any time/$ that i have on them. but I'm only going to adopt big bird out if its someone that can truly take care of him. my property/finances etc just aren't working very well. Figured a Win Win if he finds a nice home with friends

9. BobcatMan

BobcatMan ODT Junkie!

69   1

Rating
    98.5%
    I dont think so but i would like to check out the place he will be going, they can run 30mph and jump pretty high, the fencing is supposed to be 10ft chainlink but he hasn't gotten over my 8ft redneck setup. If the horses or other animals are nice it shouldn't be a problem. i dont mind staying the day so big bird feels calm and make sure everything is ok, i defenitly will get a bag of kale and some fruit to chop up for him for the move. He's not aggressive but did freak out and started dancing around and hissing when i let all 20ish chickens in his enclosure. as long as he cant escape his new setup I'm sure he will adjust great as long as he isn't getting bullied by other animals. i can go in there and hug him and he will lay down on the ground with me he's so nice. he loves showers with the hose and getting blown with the blower ! he's a real character.

10. GeauxLSU

26   0

Rating
    100%
    The deer are jumping the 8' fence? He sounds like a really cool animal! :afro: I'm sure you'll find him a good home.