• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

End of the line for Ruger Model 77s?

spencer60

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
285   0
Reaction score
Just got a weird email from Ruger saying that all Model 77s were being 'temporarily discontinued' along with a link to browse current inventory for rifles 'that may not be available again'...

That makes it sound like more than 'temporary' for some models at least.

I know they did this with the Redhawks a few years back to re-tool the production of them. So maybe that's what this is as well. After all, these huns have probably been made on the same equipment since the 60s.

Yeah, That was kind of my first thought too... That inventory they want you to browse will probably take them through whatever this 'temporary' downtime is.

Every once in awhile I do look at the 77 in 38/357 and drool a bit, then I look at the price and that's that.

Yeah, That was kind of my first thought too... That inventory they want you to browse will probably take them through whatever this 'temporary' downtime is.

Every once in awhile I do look at the 77 in 38/357 and drool a bit, then I look at the price and that's that.

That one would be nice. I wonder if the Gunsight Scout outsells the standard M77?

That one would be nice. I wonder if the Gunsight Scout outsells the standard M77?

Bet it sells more than the rest combined.

Maybe they're moving the M77 production line to AZ.

Could be, although they don't seem to move things from the plant they start in. When they shut down the Redhawks they brought the new line up in the same plant (NH).

Just a guess, but I'd bet with the limited sales, the M77 line is getting 'shrunk' so something else can use the space. They have a lot of stuff out of the NH plant, since that's the original. I bet they are trying to reclaim some space from a line that doesn't sell much anymore.

I could easily see the 22 and 17 being discontinued... the M77 is just too expensive for rimfire and like you say, the RAR does it at least as well for a lot less.

The 357 and 44 were neat guns, and if I could have ever found one under $700 or so I might have actually bought one. At what the M77s go for, I just ended up with nice old JM Marlins. Maybe they'll do the RAR in 357/44 down the road. That would be pretty cool and at sub-$400 might actually sell.

Taking mine to the gun show to see what happens.. PM if you are interested.. SS 77/357 with Tasco 3-9..

Back
Top Bottom