• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

End of the line for Ruger Model 77s?

M77... 17/22/357/44 are the models being discontinued.

Got the 17 and 22 back the beginning of the year, awesome guns. I think the Ruger American series is just out selling!
Changed my mind. Keeping all of them. :)

Thank you for saving me from my momentary loss of judgment.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but Ruger did announce that they were selling the 77s again in a few calibers a while ago.

My guess on them discontinuing the 17s and 22 were completely wrong, that's for sure. Of the four Model 77s they are now selling again, two are in rimfire calibers. The other two are the 77/357 and the 77/44.

That's it though, only 4 models out of the more than 20 they carried in their heyday. Kind of sad, but time marches on.

I was a bit shocked to see this. But with a lot of the industry going with price point driven products, not surprising. I know at SHOT show a few years ago I spoke to someone at Ruger to ask about the American line that was new at the time. I have a bunch of 77's and wondered about the new american bolt action 22lr and the differences. His point was the 77's are a far superior rifle, but that the costs to build them were high and the market wanted cheaper/less expensive options.

I love mine, have been happy the past few years to see Ruger get some respect for their bolt action rifles. I've got a 22lr, 22 hornet (stainless) and some of the regular M77's. would get a 77/44 if I didn't have a 96/44. :)

I think they did something similar with the #1's a while ago, pretty sure the production of them just goes thru one of the distributors and they change them around every year or so. Haven't made the #3 in years as well (lower price version of the #1 from what I recall).

I was a bit shocked to see this. But with a lot of the industry going with price point driven products, not surprising. I know at SHOT show a few years ago I spoke to someone at Ruger to ask about the American line that was new at the time. I have a bunch of 77's and wondered about the new american bolt action 22lr and the differences. His point was the 77's are a far superior rifle, but that the costs to build them were high and the market wanted cheaper/less expensive options.

I think they did something similar with the #1's a while ago, pretty sure the production of them just goes thru one of the distributors and they change them around every year or so. Haven't made the #3 in years as well (lower price version of the #1 from what I recall).

Honestly, while the 77s are good looking rifles, I think the Americans have them beat for accuracy, and least in the examples I've seen so far. And as you mention, the 77s go for twice as much. I agree that most rifle shooters will skip the 77 and go for the RAR.

And yeah, if you look at the #1 page, there's only 7 calibers still available there.

What is old will be new again. Folks will get bored of the American line after awhile. For a relatively inexpensive gun the American lines are great but eventually, people will yearn for a nice looking gun again and Ruger will start making some form of 77s. But you always have to pay premium for nostalgia. I remember before the Colt Python was discontinued you couldn't sell one at a reduced price even if you threw in a dozen donuts. If Colt came back out tomorrow with the Python it would retail for over $2K guessing.

Back
Top Bottom